cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does the amex preapproval site work?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does the amex preapproval site work?

Someone mentioned you can go to https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card?inav=footer_cards_personal#!view-your-special-offers to check if you are preapproved for any cards. I am already a cardmember and the site seems tailored to my account - like there's a button to add someone to my account or to refer a friend. However, there doesn't seem to be any button to check if I am preapproved for any new offers. The only thing I can do is "find out which card is perfect for you" by checking the perks that I want and then a list of cards that match those specifics pops up. This doesn't seem like a preapproval though since depending on which perks I check virtually all their cards can come up. Does anyone have experience with this?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
thebanjoman
Contributor

Re: How does the amex preapproval site work?

To view AmEx preapprovals after you're a member do the following:

(When logged in)

"Cards" menu (along top, between My Account and Travel)

Select "View All Cards"

should show a blue box with white, capital letters reading "PRE-APPROVED" for anything you're preapproved for, possibly also showing them on the left-hand side under "Recommended for you", or you can select the "Pre-Approved for you" category (found after need help finding a card, view cards by benefits, and view all cards) to see just the cards you're preapproved for.

Message 2 of 16
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Someone mentioned you can go to https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card?inav=footer_cards_personal#!view-your-special-offers to check if you are preapproved for any cards. I am already a cardmember and the site seems tailored to my account - like there's a button to add someone to my account or to refer a friend. However, there doesn't seem to be any button to check if I am preapproved for any new offers. The only thing I can do is "find out which card is perfect for you" by checking the perks that I want and then a list of cards that match those specifics pops up. This doesn't seem like a preapproval though since depending on which perks I check virtually all their cards can come up. Does anyone have experience with this?

I personally do not have any experience with that. I've checked that pre-qualifer site so many times and no dice. And my EX FICO is 675, plenty good enough for a charge card. Oh well they wont here a peep from me til 2013 anyway Smiley Tongue

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 16
CS800
Super Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

I personally do not have any experience with that. I've checked that pre-qualifer site so many times and no dice. And my EX FICO is 675, plenty good enough for a charge card. Oh well they wont here a peep from me til 2013 anyway Smiley Tongue

Mid 2012??

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thebanjoman wrote:

(When logged in)

Select "View All Cards"

should show a blue box with white, capital letters reading "PRE-APPROVED" for anything you're preapproved for, possibly also showing them on the left-hand side under "Recommended for you", or you can select the "Pre-Approved for you" category (found after need help finding a card, view cards by benefits, and view all cards) to see just the cards you're preapproved for.

Thanks for such a detailed response! I checked this like you said and didn't see anything. I think its b/c I disabled new card/marketing offers under profile preferences when I first set up my account. Just enabled it and will see if I get anything in the next few months.

Message 5 of 16
HiLine
Blogger

@thebanjoman wrote:

(When logged in)

Select "View All Cards"

I didn't see anything with the word 'approved' on the "View All Cards" page. Has the site been redesigned since then?

Message 6 of 16
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Yes, I think it's gone.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 7 of 16
kekrre
Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think the Amex site is a SP, I think it checks to see if you're on their mailing list (and maybe puts you into some kind of "lurker" SP pool that they check every few months). I saw Amex SPs every few months on my Ex report, but not correlating to when I used their pre-approval site. It also only ever showed me pre-approvals for Gold and Delta Gold, which are the only two cards I've ever received mailings from them about (it did say "you might also be interested in Blue Sky", but that's only because Amex knows nobody is interested in Blue Sky).

|||||||
Message 8 of 16
RainaB13
New Contributor

How do you use this site if you're not a member?
Also, I keep getting email "offers " from amex with experation dates. I just received one for their Goldcard which "expires" on 1/4/14. Nowhere does it say I'm pre approved. Are these anything more than ads? I have been ignoring them partly, because the card I want is the Blue Cash Preferred.
My TransUnion score is 776, Equifax753 & Experian 693. Is it usual for 3 to have tougher standards in this order? I know the reasons for the different scores & that, ea agency is viewing/scoring data VERY differenly.
Message 9 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

If you signed up to received their promotional offers, you'll get these emails. They are marketing emails only.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.