Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does this work with AMEX?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does this work with AMEX?

Good evening, all! I have an American Express Premiere Rewards Gold (PRG) and I have a quick question about it that their customer service couldn't really clarify for me. 

Say for example I make a $100 purchase at a department store on my PRG and a few days later I have to return it.  I have not paid my balance off yet due to this, so I am thinking they'll deduct the $100 once I return the merchandise from my "outstanding balance," is that correct? 

What would happen if I paid my balance off and then did the return? Would it be direct deposit back into my other bank's checking account? Do they send a check? 

Thank you, MyFico! 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Jarrodpd
Regular Contributor

Re: How does this work with AMEX?

@Anonymous wrote:

Good evening, all! I have an American Express Premiere Rewards Gold (PRG) and I have a quick question about it that their customer service couldn't really clarify for me. 

Say for example I make a $100 purchase at a department store on my PRG and a few days later I have to return it.  I have not paid my balance off yet due to this, so I am thinking they'll deduct the $100 once I return the merchandise from my "outstanding balance," is that correct? 

What would happen if I paid my balance off and then did the return? Would it be direct deposit back into my other bank's checking account? Do they send a check? 

Thank you, MyFico! 

I had something similar happen, It was an Amex offer that wasnt applied till after I paid my bill. The only thing that happens is that you have a positive balance on your card. So in your case given your example, you could spend that $100 and not have to make a payment because its a surplus on your card.

USAA Platinum Mastercard: $8000
American Express HHonors no AF: $12000
American Express Premier Rewards Gold: NPSL
American Express Platinum: NPSL
US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig: $5100|Chase Freedom: $7000|Chase Sapphire Reserve: $10000
Total combined CL:$42,100|Exp: 763(788Amex)|Equ: 759|Tu: 769 (04 May 2016)
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

So it's just basically like a statement credit? Man, that's unfortunate.Smiley Surprised

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So it's just basically like a statement credit? Man, that's unfortunate.Smiley Surprised

Yes it is.  It will be a statement credit and will offset whatever you buy next.  They will never deposit it back into your acount.  That is not how it works.

Message 4 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Clearly crediting your account is the easiest thing, depositing back some of a payment wouldn't make sense.    On the AMex cc at least, you can request a refund of a credit balance, and they will send a check.  Don't know why the PRG wouldn't also allow this, but don't know for sure.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.