cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How dow Amex MR Membership Rewards work?

tag
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: How dow Amex MR Membership Rewards work?

@Anonymouswrote:

@SouthJamaicawrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

No. The value of a MR point depends on how it’s used. Redeeming for statement credits yields roughly a 0.6% return. The best value comes from airline partner transfers, where some people have claimed to get up to 9 cents per point. 

I looked into exchanging them for TrueBlue (JetBlue) points, and was disappointed to see that each MR point was worth only 80% of a TrueBlue point.

Unlike Chase who allows 1:1 transfers regardless of the value, AMEX purposely tries to make each point worth 1 cent each regardless of the transfer partner, which is why we see the stupid 800:1000 ratio and the 3:1 ratio with MRSmiley FrustratedPG. 

SPG should be 1:3 MR points because their room point redemption's are rather low.  I could get most Westin category hotel rooms for 12,000 SPG points while Marriott for the same hotel category would be 40,000 points.  

I'm hoping there is going to be 1:2 to jump on soon and then rolls those points to marriott at 3x per SPG point.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 11 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

If you reasonably expect to redeem a certain award currency in the future, taking advantage of a transfer bonus can make MRs more attractive.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 12 of 14
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I saw a post about transferring to jet blue. I can get 1.62 CPP out of MR when transferred to jet blue when you factor in the tax and 1.98 CPP when using trueblue points through the airline. So it’s very easy to get more then 1CPP for MR points if you look around at the airline you want

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 13 of 14
kdm31091
Super Contributor

If you want cash back like redemptions, MR points won't serve you very well. As stated you can get 1cpp on some gift cards, but that's about it. Pay with points at Amazon, pay against charges on statement, etc are all well below 1cpp so you won't earn more than a cash back card would.

For travel you can definitely get some great value from MR points.

The SUB is $100 or less in value so IMO nothing wonderful. They recently added the BT promo, which is something I guess.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.