How early can I add my kids as AUs?

tag
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

Re: How early can I add my kids as AUs?

@Crashem wrote:

@CribDuchess wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

As someone mentioned earlier, the rule depends on the card issuer.

For AMEX, it is 15 for charge cards and I believe 17-18 for credit cards.

I always recommend adding AMEX first as AU if available.  There are a few reasons for this:

Agree 100% with Crashem.  However, I will add that there is no age difference on Amex charge or credit cards - the age requirement is 15 for both types.  I added my son when he was 15 to both my BCE and my Optima cards.

I just did this the other day.  There was an age difference for me.  Go ahead and make up SSN and birthdate of this year.  It will tell you.  Policy changes all the time.  My friend was added when they were little kids (I think for nanny).

I tried to test online, but the system for that feature appears to be down.  So I just called the number on the back of my BCE card and asked about adding my 15-year old nephew to my BCE card as an ACM.  The rep put me on hold for a few minutes and then came back online and said yes I could do this.  I then asked her about additional card member age requirements for charge cards vs. credit cards and she said there are different age requirements for various cards.  The BCE is age 15.  She said some of the other cards require 17 or 18.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 11 of 15
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Gotcha.  I forget which card I tried that was the 18 year old, but I know it was a credit card.  No problem adding 15 year old on Platinum card.  So I assumed the difference was just between charge and credit cards.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 12 of 15
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

Gotcha.  I forget which card I tried that was the 18 year old, but I know it was a credit card.  No problem adding 15 year old on Platinum card.  So I assumed the difference was just between charge and credit cards.

Maybe it was the Costco TE?  I have that card, too and the rep said I wouldn't be able to add my newphew to that one because he would have to be 18.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 13 of 15
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Funny about age differences within same issuer
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 14 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

For a Coscto membership, you have to be 18 years old. I would guess that's the reason for the TE higher age requirement.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.