Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How easy is it to get a Target Red Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How easy is it to get a Target Red Card

Hello everyone, I have a Capital One CC with a $500 limit. And I was just approved for the Amex Zync (Just approved yesterday). I always pay in full with 9% utl. So I was wondering, how difficult would it be to get a Target Red Card? I have 7 months of perfect history, which I know is a little short, but I was wondering if you think I have a chance at getting it. I heard that they were being more generous because of the holidays coming up. So what do you guys think, do you think I would get approved? Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Re: How easy is it to get a Target Red Card

I don't know if the limits they give are worth the hard pull, to be honest with you. Even people in the 700s are getting $200 CLs from these people.

This one is just basically an apply if you really want the card bad enough situation. I suppose you might be one of the lucky persons to score a decent CL, and my recollection is that they are not terribly strict when it comes to FICO and credit requirements. You call Smiley Happy

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's been awhile, but my wife was not able to get one and their reason was: not enough active credit card accounts, from what I understood they need to see 2 active credit card accounts on your report before they will give you a card. I'm not sure if that is truly the case or not, just what they said. YMMV, but you may want to wait until your Zinc reports before applying.

Beyond that they are relatively easy to get, my scores were in the 640 range when I got mine with a limit of $300, which was raised to $1000 later that year.

Message 3 of 11
n777ua
Established Contributor

Got mine quite a while ago 6 mo after a bk7 charge off.  $200 limit which hasn't been increased in 8 years.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 4 of 11
hedgeclipper2
Frequent Contributor

I got one in August of this year, instant approval at the cash register.  $3,000 limit.

They pulled EQ, where my score was something around 720ish.  2.2 yrs AAoA, several other higher limit cards.

So they DO give high limits to some people.

-----------------------
My favorite card right now: Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa Signature
Message 5 of 11
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@n777ua wrote:

Got mine quite a while ago 6 mo after a bk7 charge off.  $200 limit which hasn't been increased in 8 years.

Yeah...gosh...I hate to be a downer on Target, but they are stingy with CLs for most people. Why not get a Wal-Mart credit card? No AF...good CL out of the gate...regular increases (3 per year)...fast CR...good card in general!

Oh, and FREE FICO TU score each month!!! Smiley Very Happy

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on that limit. I'm not too concerned about the limit though. I really want the 5% off, but I do t want their debit card. I would just pay it off at guest services on my way out anyway.
Message 7 of 11
hedgeclipper2
Frequent Contributor

I had a Target card like 2 years back, that I got when my credit was bad because my roommates skipped out on paying the electric bill that was in my name, so I had a collection.  It was paid, but on my reports.  Scores were probably around 620 or so, and I got instant approval for one with a $200 limit.

Obviously, now that the collection is long gone because they took pity on me, I just closed the old one and reapplied a few months later to get the higher limit.

-----------------------
My favorite card right now: Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa Signature
Message 8 of 11
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

My wife got one recently.  I don't know her FICO scores, we haven't pulled them in quite a while.  She has one paid collection on her reports and one charge off.  There are several late payments as well.  Everything is from some time ago, no negative marks in the last three years.  That said, she was approved for $2000 CL, but with the highest tier interest rate.  We used our HHI on the app, which probably influenced the CL even though her credit still has some negative marks on it.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

They pulled EQ for me, FICO of 695, and approved instantly for $2000. I also used HHI wich was 75k+, the max option available on the application at the register.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.