cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How exactly do you get a CLI from Discover?

tag
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

How exactly do you get a CLI from Discover?

I just wasted a 2nd HP on a measly $500 CLI, so I was wondering, how exactly do you get a decent CLI from them?

Massive usage? Allow statement to close with a balance? Carry a balance?

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: How exactly do you get a CLI from Discover?

@thelethargicage wrote:

I just wasted a 2nd HP on a measly $500 CLI, so I was wondering, how exactly do you get a decent CLI from them?

Any suggestions?

Well is most part to get great cli. Simple. Wait it out. Everyone wants everything right now

how long did you waitb or the so called measly 500? 

That is question. Most everyone that got strong cli from them waited about 15 months. Of course some exceptions. I will not ask for cli ever. If I must wait 2 years. It's worth it. As cli will be strong. Instead of dealing with chasing everyone else.  Do you really need the cli?

most have so many cards. There is really no need for cli. Unless large purchase. 

But. According to them to answer you question. 90 day point odds. Slim. 6 months. Better odds weak cli. 

12 months. Even better. Good cli. 

15 months. Great cli. After that. No need. 

Message 2 of 30
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:

Any suggestions?

I have been calling the number on the back of my card and following the automated prompts to reach the CLI request option.  I have had much better success with this being a soft-pull and getting $1,500 one time and $2,500 the other time I have tried this.  I am planning to use this method every 3 months.  I got one of the increases in May, and got the other one earlier this month.  In between, I did attempt another and the system wanted to transfer me to a representative.  I hung up as I figured it would then be a HP.

I have had no luck with the online luv button - it always indicates that they will need to check my credit reports.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 3 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't really think there is a method to their madness..

I started with them in 2011, with a Student More. I didn't know anything about requesting CLIs, and thought it was all just auto. Had high utl mostly due to a cash advance I did to pay for my previous laptop and I was a college student with minimal income and a shopping habit (now I'm an adult with decent income and a shopping habit). Updated my info once I graduated, then again when I got my job. It took three months before I got an auto CLI, and at that time my usage was at >90%.

I didn't even know about the LUV button or the automated system until I found this site (THANKS GUYS <3!!). And even then, neither ever worked..After the last time I tried the automated system and got denied, the online page said something like "we can't process a request until your current one is finished". I figured it was because I called in or I had just asked for a conversion to the IT (some people on here reported that they got a CLI after doing this). Then one day I checked to see if it still said that, and finally it worked. I asked for 5000, they luckily countered.

Around that time, I converted to the IT, opened a few new card accounts, took money out of a low yield savings and paid down some of the balance and did a balance transfer so UTL on the card was 0%. My TU score was around 690.

Went from 1000 -> 1800 ->3300

I say keep trying till you get lucky..(well for now i'd say wait three months or so)

**edited for horrible spelling and to add info

Message 4 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

From my experience I think with Discover 'time' is the key.

2007: First app, Credit history was ~3 months. Got declined.

2008: Apped after having a Credit history of 1 yr. (with Cap1 & Citi). Approved. CL: $1500.

2010: Auto CLI $3000.

2012: Auto CLI $5000.

2013: Request. CLI $8000. Via web. SP.

2013: Auto CLI $8500.

2014: Request. CLI $10,000. Via web. SP.

2014: Request. CLI $14,500. Via CSR. Ensured SP. (Had requested $15,000)

I have always PIF. My APR is 9.24% V.

Till 2013 Util. was a bit high ~25-50% on Discover.

Post 2013 its 5-10%.

I dont' think this should have any bearing but I keep my cash-backs to accumulate since I only order their partner gift cards (Staples & Enterprise rental mostly).

All the best !

Message 5 of 30
blondy250
Established Contributor

In another 10 years of good history with discover you'll get good soft CLI.
Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 6 of 30
adavis425
Established Contributor

@CribDuchess wrote:

@thelethargicage wrote:

Any suggestions?

I have been calling the number on the back of my card and following the automated prompts to reach the CLI request option.  I have had much better success with this being a soft-pull and getting $1,500 one time and $2,500 the other time I have tried this.  I am planning to use this method every 3 months.  I got one of the increases in May, and got the other one earlier this month.  In between, I did attempt another and the system wanted to transfer me to a representative.  I hung up as I figured it would then be a HP.

I have had no luck with the online luv button - it always indicates that they will need to check my credit reports.

+1 Smiley Tongue

I've gotten two (1,500 both times) clis in the past 5 months this way. First in April and another this month. I've had the card two years and could never get anything through the online button. 

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 7 of 30
taxi818
Super Contributor

I beleive in said that in beginning. Time wait it' out. Cli will come. Long term relationship. Not 1 night stand.
Message 8 of 30
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@thelethargicage wrote:

Any suggestions?

Apply for a 2nd Discover card.  Or better yet, something that isn't Discover.

Message 9 of 30
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

You got this card (if your signature is correct) January 2014 --- you currently have a 7k limit according to your signature.. Discover must think that this is sufficient for you or that you simply haven't shown behavior that would warrant the larger line coupled with it's just too early to be doing a HP CLI, to me.

Sorry that you didn't get what you wanted though..
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.