cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How exactly do you get a CLI from Discover?

tag
b_diddy
Established Contributor

Re: How exactly do you get a CLI from Discover?

@thelethargicage wrote:

I just wasted a 2nd HP on a measly $500 CLI, so I was wondering, how exactly do you get a decent CLI from them?

Massive usage? Allow statement to close with a balance? Carry a balance?

Any suggestions?

Sorry to say but Discover has baffled me ... my initial credit limit when I got this card in 2012 was only $1200 and since then I have received small ($200-400) automatic credit limit increases on average every 4-5 months or so.  I have received no SP love from the luv button or by calling.  Online it tells me it's not available for this account and when I call they want a hard pull.  Intro incentives have long ago expired so no go on the HP. For the first year or so, I ran quite a few everyday charges through and PIF.  Now that I have other cards with higher limits and better deals, I don't use it as much and try to keep reporting balance below 10%.  I have resolved myself to allowing this card's CL to grow organically.

FICO Scores: EX 733 (1/17/15) EQ 761 (1/17/15) TU 750 (1/17/15)

Message 11 of 30
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

I am currently experimenting with the relationship method. I heard anecdotal evidence that Discover likes it if you have a strong relationship in multiple areas with them. So I am trying to improve relationship by utilizing their CC, savings account, and cashback checking products. 

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 12 of 30
taxi818
Super Contributor

@14fiesta
+1
Did the exact same thing. And they gave 50 buck bonus for checking. I will wait it out. If my limit was 7k. I would not complain. But each of us are different. So 7k to op must be too small.
Message 13 of 30
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@14Fiesta wrote:

I am currently experimenting with the relationship method. I heard anecdotal evidence that Discover likes it if you have a strong relationship in multiple areas with them. So I am trying to improve relationship by utilizing their CC, savings account, and cashback checking products. 

I want to sign up for their cashback checking but I don't know if they do a HP for that and the savings products. I know Cap One 360 does HPs. My student card with Discover turns six months in October.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 14 of 30
taxi818
Super Contributor

Come in now. There is no credit pull for checking account. There is a chex system check. And identity check only. Hence the security questions. And sometimes sp on credit report. You will have until October 15 to sign up. In order to get 50 dollar bonus. Make sure you send them secure message to insure. Then you get cash back checking. Including cash back debit card. 1%
Message 15 of 30
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:
Come in now. There is no credit pull for checking account. There is a chex system check. And identity check only. Hence the security questions. And sometimes sp on credit report. You will have until October 15 to sign up. In order to get 50 dollar bonus. Make sure you send them secure message to insure. Then you get cash back checking. Including cash back debit card. 1%

I was denied for the second time for a CLI. I really don't like how stingy Discover can be but their card is just so great IMO. The reasons they gave me on the phone are understandable though. Mainly new accounts and I think inquries were another factor but I think it was mainly the former that really stopped them from being able to get me out of toy limit territory. Got to keep gardening there.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 16 of 30
b_diddy
Established Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:
Come in now. There is no credit pull for checking account. There is a chex system check. And identity check only. Hence the security questions. And sometimes sp on credit report. You will have until October 15 to sign up. In order to get 50 dollar bonus. Make sure you send them secure message to insure. Then you get cash back checking. Including cash back debit card. 1%zid
Is this a different deal than on their website? There they are only offering $0.10 per transaction capped at 100 transactions or $10.00 month.  1% on all transactions could be a VERY different number depending upon the size of the transaction.  Also, how often are you actually using debit card or checks if the idea is to use your CC's.

Message 17 of 30
taxi818
Super Contributor

Well honestly. I'm not using at all. The ideal is to use credit card. But debit is a option. I only signed up to get 50 dollar sign up bonus. They said anyone that's sign up between 8-15 and 10-15-14. Will get 50 bucks. You just need I mention it to them. If you don't say anything. They will not give.
Message 18 of 30
randeman
Frequent Contributor

For the first year or so after approval, I received auto increases every quarter.  Then they stopped.  About a year and a half of no increases (and paying off much of my debt), I hit the "luv" button, and got a significant bump.  It's all YMMV.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 19 of 30
b_diddy
Established Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:
Well honestly. I'm not using at all. The ideal is to use credit card. But debit is a option. I only signed up to get 50 dollar sign up bonus. They said anyone that's sign up between 8-15 and 10-15-14. Will get 50 bucks. You just need I mention it to them. If you don't say anything. They will not give.

OK, thanks.

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.