Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How far back do they go?

tag
907grown
Established Contributor

How far back do they go?

When a CC issuer is looking at application, does anyone know how far back they look at inq's? 6, 12, 24 months?

Starting Score: 460
Current Score: EQ 764, TU 764, EX 740,
BOA AK AIR 30,000, Discover IT 6300, Freedom 25,300, Barclays RMC 15,660, Ring 15,000, BCE 15,000, QS17,000,AARP 15,000, ChaseFU 8,000,AND A LOT MORE!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: How far back do they go?

@907grown wrote:

When a CC issuer is looking at application, does anyone know how far back they look at inq's? 6, 12, 24 months?

It varies on the issuer (and probably on the underwriter).   Many banks care only about the last 6-12 months, but anything on the report is potentially fair game.   Conservative lenders in particular may look at the older inquiries if they feel that there might be issues.   Its not clear to me that an inquiry say 20 months ago says a lot about my current creditworthiness, but then I'm not an underwriter!

Message 2 of 6
UTK_GOBO
Valued Member

Usually only 1 year, because after that time it doesn't affect your score anymore. Of course after 2 years it will fall off of your CR.

I have way too many cards ...
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm gonna say between 6-12.

Message 4 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@907grown wrote:

It varies on the issuer (and probably on the underwriter).   Many banks care only about the last 6-12 months, but anything on the report is potentially fair game.   Conservative lenders in particular may look at the older inquiries if they feel that there might be issues.   Its not clear to me that an inquiry say 20 months ago says a lot about my current creditworthiness, but then I'm not an underwriter!

Exactly.  Some, like Barclays (i.e. manual review), can still cite inquiries from 24 months ago.  Again, as longtimelurker mentione above, it depends on the lender.

Message 5 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

It varies on the issuer

^ This.  Creditors are not all identical so don't assume that they all use the same criteria.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.