cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How frequently can you safely use the Citi SP luv button?

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

How frequently can you safely use the Citi SP luv button?

Hi, a quick question:  if you go to the CLI option on the Citi website and you receive the SP-eligible CLI message of "It's easy to find out if you qualify for a credit limit increase. A credit bureau report will not be requested and you will receive an instant decision", does anyone know how frequently is it considered safe to hit the luv button without Citi becoming unhappy with you doing that?  For example, I still have the message showing up, even though I was successfully able to get 3 SP CLIs earlier this month.  Should I try yet again, since I now have $0 balance PIF status on 2 of my 5 accounts and a very tiny balance on one other account, or best not to chance it and play it safe?  How long between luv button hits would you recommend?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
blondy250
Established Contributor

Re: How frequently can you safely use the Citi SP luv button?

every 6 months.
Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@blondy250 wrote:
every 6 months.

I believe you have to wait at least 3 months. I have tried inside of three months and it was an automatic denial with an email saying to "you have recently received an increase, but try back anytime."

Message 3 of 10
Involver
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@blondy250 wrote:
every 6 months.

I believe you have to wait at least 3 months. I have tried inside of three months and it was an automatic denial with an email saying to "you have recently received an increase, but try back anytime."

It is every six months before they will grant a limit increase without a HP.

Message 4 of 10
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Just got my SP cli offer, hit the luv button and denied. Guess I'll wait, had the card for 1.5 month, pushed $3K through the card already and still no go. Currently carrying a $1K balance so I'll wait til the next go around. Citi is tough!

Message 5 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Involver wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@blondy250 wrote:
every 6 months.

It is every six months before they will grant a limit increase without a HP.

OP - not sure that Citi really "grumbles" at the idea of you clicking on that link that frequently (but why poke the bear?); but as others have mentioned - every six months.  In rare instances, and if an account qualifies for another CLI, it's been available for some individuals a little earlier than 6 months.

Message 6 of 10
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Has Citi changed their policy.  Previously, I was able to ask for the SP CLI every 6 months with the last one being 26 Jun 2015.  6 months or 180 days would be 23 Dec 2015, so when the 2nd of Jan rolled around I thought I should be all set.  When I logged in and went to the CLI request page it said that a credit bureau report would be pulled to complete the request and asked for a specified amount.  Have continued to check each day since then with the same result.  Am I just unlucky or has the option been taken away?  Thanks.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope, SP CLI still there for me. Has anything changed on your credit profile lately?
Message 8 of 10
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@blondy250 wrote:
every 6 months.

It is six months you have to wait. I asked for a Credit increase when I got my DC back in June and had to wait to be declined with a SP and than asked for a HP in December. I got CLI on my two other Citi cards every six months though with the button 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 9 of 10
BigBS
Senior Contributor

sc32valve wrote:
Nope, SP CLI still there for me. Has anything changed on your credit profile lately?

Since

Since the last request have added 4 cards (CapOne QS, CapOne Venture, Huntington Voice, and Chase AARP), but AAoA, utilization, and scores still solid.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.