Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How good is this AMEX PRG offer?

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: How good is this AMEX PRG offer?

Congratulations! It won't take long. Likely Tuesday you'll see it.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 21 of 30
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Congratulations! It won't take long. Likely Tuesday you'll see it.

Thanks ! Posted a thread in the approvals section Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 30
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Grats! And yea, you should have the card in hand in the next couple of days.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 23 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

After the email last month, I just got the fancy US mail "invitation to apply" with brochure (50K points).   What I found interesting is that under travel there is no mention of transfer, instead talking about pay with points, and that this offer is worth up to $500.    Maybe the transfer stuff is considered too difficult to explain in a marketing brochure?

Message 24 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

After the email last month, I just got the fancy US mail "invitation to apply" with brochure (50K points).   What I found interesting is that under travel there is no mention of transfer, instead talking about pay with points, and that this offer is worth up to $500.    Maybe the transfer stuff is considered too difficult to explain in a marketing brochure?

I think it's that they make less. But also, yeah, too hard to explain. 

Message 25 of 30
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Not just that; but also difficult to moderate. 

Suppose you (as AMEX) had the ability to explain; but then by putting a number (1cpp, 1.5cpp, 1.8cpp etc.) you are subjecting yourself to potential complaints. Transfers - that you control - are 1:1 (sometimes more or less depending on contracts and bonuses), but the value derived from that is essentially outside your control, completely. All other redemptions, cash, gift cards, travel credit etc. are within your control as in it happens on your interface (and easy to put a value to). Once points are transferred, AMEX could not possibly take any responsibility of that number. Which number would you put? Up to $625? (Chase can, because it's on their interface, UR travel). Up to $800?

What if, I, as a potential customer, saw "up to $800" and thought, okay, best valuation is 1.6cpp so I go ahead and redeem whenever I got that rate. Then I log on to FT and see crazy people getting 3cpp and the like. I'll blame AMEX. On the flipside, advertising say 2.5cpp which is very difficult to get will cause consumers to complain too, saying all this is false advertising as 2.5cpp happens once in a blue moon. 

So AMEX would rather keep probabilistic redemptions out of the equation and market the product as "great" anyway. The $500 number is straightforward - you either redeem gift cards and you get it or you redeem as statement credit and you get <$500. 

Now, with their 1:1 transfer also coming under a cut, I believe they thought it's better not advertised. That way, they can go ahead and slash transfer rates whichever way they want. 

Message 26 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Not just that; but also difficult to moderate. 

Suppose you (as AMEX) had the ability to explain; but then by putting a number (1cpp, 1.5cpp, 1.8cpp etc.) you are subjecting yourself to potential complaints. Transfers - that you control - are 1:1 (sometimes more or less depending on contracts and bonuses), but the value derived from that is essentially outside your control, completely. All other redemptions, cash, gift cards, travel credit etc. are within your control as in it happens on your interface (and easy to put a value to). Once points are transferred, AMEX could not possibly take any responsibility of that number. Which number would you put? Up to $625? (Chase can, because it's on their interface, UR travel). Up to $800?

What if, I, as a potential customer, saw "up to $800" and thought, okay, best valuation is 1.6cpp so I go ahead and redeem whenever I got that rate. Then I log on to FT and see crazy people getting 3cpp and the like. I'll blame AMEX. On the flipside, advertising say 2.5cpp which is very difficult to get will cause consumers to complain too, saying all this is false advertising as 2.5cpp happens once in a blue moon. 

So AMEX would rather keep probabilistic redemptions out of the equation and market the product as "great" anyway. The $500 number is straightforward - you either redeem gift cards and you get it or you redeem as statement credit and you get <$500. 

Now, with their 1:1 transfer also coming under a cut, I believe they thought it's better not advertised. That way, they can go ahead and slash transfer rates whichever way they want. 

Right, I wasn't expecting them to provide a figure, just something very generic like "and points can also be transferred to the rewards program of our partners".   Otherwise it looks very much like Venture or Arrival without even the 1.2 boost of CSP/TYP etc.

Message 27 of 30
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Right, I wasn't expecting them to provide a figure, just something very generic like "and points can also be transferred to the rewards program of our partners".   Otherwise it looks very much like Venture or Arrival without even the 1.2 boost of CSP/TYP etc.

You're right. On their website, they highlight (not a lot, unlike Chase) the transferability of their points, but not on their snail mailer that otherwise looks pretty cool. This is from the PRG online ad.

Membership Rewards® Program

Use your Card everyday and you can get points fast - points have no expiration date. However, points may be forfeited as described in the program terms.Transfer points to our selection of frequent traveler programs or use them for gift cards and merchandise.

Message 28 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just received my card and called Amex to see if I can get the better intro offer than what I got which was 25k pts for $2k spent in the first 3 months.  They put in a request and said they would get back to me.  Anyone ever try this?

Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I just received my card and called Amex to see if I can get the better intro offer than what I got which was 25k pts for $2k spent in the first 3 months.  They put in a request and said they would get back to me.  Anyone ever try this?

i havent, but many others have. If it was chase bank, or citi, it would probably be a 99% yes.  Amex, 99.999999% no.

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.