cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How has Citi Double Cash affected your rewards strategy?

tag
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

How has Citi Double Cash affected your rewards strategy?

Grocery stores: Blue Cash Preferred

Gas: Sallie Mae MC

Travel: TrueEarnings (this card is basically SDd)

Target/Walmart: Sallie Mae MC

Restaurants: Chase AARP

Rotating: Freedom and It

Non-Category: Citi Double Cash

Basically, now I have no use my BofA Cash Rewards card because Double Cash gets me the same rate at grocery stores/Target/Walmart. And Quicksilver is now sidelined permanently (unless I travel out of the country, which is unlikely to say the least).

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
celluloid17
Established Contributor

Re: How has Citi Double Cash affected your rewards strategy?

I now don't what to do with my Fidelity Amex, except maybe use it at Costco.  I also have the TrueEarnings card, which I now just reserve for more expensive electronic purchases or for travel expenses (i.e., pretty much SD'ed!).  

I haven't even received the Double Cash card in the mail yet and it's already going to be my third most used and important card behind Sallie Mae and Cash +.

I've really learned that for my spending, I only need about 3 cards.  Unfortunately, I have 9 so that leaves me in a quandary over what to do with the other 6 most of the time!  

Message 2 of 29
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@celluloid17 wrote:

I now don't what to do with my Fidelity Amex, except maybe use it at Costco.  I also have the TrueEarnings card, which I now just reserve for more expensive electronic purchases or for travel expenses (i.e., pretty much SD'ed!).  

I haven't even received the Double Cash card in the mail yet and it's already going to be my third most used and important card behind Sallie Mae and Cash +.

I've really learned that for my spending, I only need about 3 cards.  Unfortunately, I have 9 so that leaves me in a quandary over what to do with the other 6 most of the time!  

I've been having the same problem as well. I hardly use 3 of my cards (BofA, Freedom, and It)

Message 3 of 29
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

I've been having the same problem as well. I hardly use 3 of my cards (BofA, Freedom, and It)

Have you thought of PC'ing your BOA Cash Rewards to a BOA Better Balance Rewards card?  If you put a smaller regular monthly bill on it or very minimal monthly spend on it each month and wait for the statement to cut before paying off the balance you would get an easy $25 a quarter.  

Message 4 of 29
yfan
Valued Contributor

@celluloid17 wrote:

Have you thought of PC'ing your BOA Cash Rewards to a BOA Better Balance Rewards card?  If you put a smaller regular monthly bill on it or very minimal monthly spend on it each month and wait for the statement to cut before paying off the balance you would get an easy $25 a quarter.  

I don't know about this. One of the conditions of earning the $25 a quarter with the Better Balance Rewards is that you have to pay MORE than the minimum requried payment not equal to it. So if your minimum payment is $7 because you made only a $7 purchase during a month and paid off that $7, that means you paid the minimum, not MORE than the minimum. Which means you don't qualify for the $25 at the end of the quarter.

At least, this is my reading of it. Anyone with personal experience set me straight?

Message 5 of 29
nutsaboutrewards
Established Member

My FIA Fidelity Visa is now in the sock drawer. For now I've moved all of my "everything else" spending from FIA Fidelity Amex to the Citi DC. I'll probably rotate between the two just to keep them both active. 

Amex Blue Cash Preferred (2x for $13k/yr) - 6% groceries (including GC), 3% gas, 1% everywhere else
US Bank - Cash+ (2x for 4 categories) 5% restaurants, department stores, wireless, and 1 rotating misc
Chase Amazon - 3% on amazon.com
Chase United - 2% on United/Star Alliance. Original "plat" card/grandfathered. Get 5k PQM/year.
Fidelity Amex - 2% (my main card)
Citi Double Cash - 2% (may become main card)
Fidelity Visa - 1.5% $15k, 2% > $15k/yr (sock drawer since Citi DC)
A few other EMV cards with 0% foreign exchange
Message 6 of 29
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

I don't know about this. One of the conditions of earning the $25 a quarter with the Better Balance Rewards is that you have to pay MORE than the minimum requried payment not equal to it. So if your minimum payment is $7 because you made only a $7 purchase during a month and paid off that $7, that means you paid the minimum, not MORE than the minimum. Which means you don't qualify for the $25 at the end of the quarter.

At least, this is my reading of it. Anyone with personal experience set me straight?

If the balance is $25 or less, the minimum payment will essentially be a PIF amount.  I would not consider this a Netflix only type card as some had hoped to use it as.  Ideally, you want to spend more than $25 a month so that you never have a negative balance after the quarterly credit posts because you to have a balance report each month to qualify.  I use it to pay my $60 a month cell phone bill, which I pay off after the statement cuts and before the minimum payment due date.  For me, it's the equivalent of saving 15% on my cell phone bill each month, which is better than any other discount offered by other reward cards.  The reason I put my cell phone bill on it is that it's currently my smallest monthly bill and because I don't carry the card with me at all times, I don't use it for random purchases so it's easier for me to just have one recurring charge on it that I don't have to think about.  

Message 7 of 29
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

@celluloid17 wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

If the balance is $25 or less, the minimum payment will essentially be a PIF amount.  I would not consider this a Netflix only type card as some had hoped to use it as.  Ideally, you want to spend more than $25 a month so that you never have a negative balance after the quarterly credit posts because you to have a balance report each month to qualify.  I use it to pay my $60 a month cell phone bill, which I pay off after the statement cuts and before the minimum payment due date.  For me, it's the equivalent of saving 15% on my cell phone bill each month, which is better than any other discount offered by other reward cards.  The reason I put my cell phone bill on it is that it's currently my smallest monthly bill and because I don't carry the card with me at all times, I don't use it for random purchases so it's easier for me to just have one recurring charge on it that I don't have to think about.  

I haven't had the BBR for an entire quarter yet (just PC'd), but I thought the cash back was credited to your BoA checking account. At least that is how I redeemed cash back from the Cash Rewards 321 CC.  I can see the issue you are talking about if it is true the cash back comes back as a statement credit.

Message 8 of 29
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@CreditDunce wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

I haven't had the BBR for an entire quarter yet (just PC'd), but I thought the cash back was credited to your BoA checking account. At least that is how I redeemed cash back from the Cash Rewards 321 CC.  I can see the issue you are talking about if it is true the cash back comes back as a statement credit.

I should have clarified.  I don't have a banking relationship with BOA, so I only get it as a statement credit. 

Message 9 of 29
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

DC has honestly pushed me to go for the fidelity amex, after alot of thought and reading how not alot of people are too happy with citi and even talk/worry already of it getting nerfed, I have decided to go for the more stable fidelity amex.

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.