Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How high can credit limit increases go?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How high can credit limit increases go?

I filed for bankruptcy in 2005 and got a unsecured credit card from Orchard Bank in 2010 with a credit limit of $300. I got a credit limit increase of $500 after 6 months, then recently to $700. My question is how high can these credit limits go? Does it ultimately have to do with my income or does it rely more on payment history? I've paid more than the minimum every month on time and most of the time I've paid in full. But is it possible one day my credit limit on this card will increase to $1,000 or more? Since getting that Orchard Bank card I've gotten a Capital One card with a credit limit of $750 and a Wal-Mart credit card with a credit limit of $600. I owe nothing on the Wal-Mart card and $50 on the Capital One card. I owe $200 on the Orchard Bank card.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

Re: How high can credit limit increases go?

i heard of a reference of an older man with a card that had a 150k and story of a woman that wanted to consolidate her chase credit cards into one and the rep told her that the limit on the one card would be 120k. she freaked out and asked for a CLD to the limit that it equaled before.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 2 of 6
mxp114
Valued Contributor

The highest limit I've heard of is $250,000 MBNA Quantum. I don't know anyone that had that limit but remember the CL guideline saying $10,000 to $250,000. I bet at those lines you need some major income documentation and verification which would make AmEx's dreaded FR look like a joke lol

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm certainly not expecting my credit limit to be increased to $250,000. I'm asking if my credit limit will be increased in $200 increments for the foreseeable future or if it's going to stop cold at $700. How does it work?

Message 4 of 6
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm certainly not expecting my credit limit to be increased to $250,000. I'm asking if my credit limit will be increased in $200 increments for the foreseeable future or if it's going to stop cold at $700. How does it work?

The experience I had -- and shared with many others in this forum -- is that rebuilding cards like Orchard and Cap 1 will progress based on payment history and length of account history until $ 1,500-2,500, then will stop. At that point you will hopefully be in good enough shape to apply for better cards, or even for prime cards.

One piece of advice that you will find often in various threads is to keep your utilization low. This means of course that you should pay your balance in full every month, but if possible you should also try and pay before the statement is issued, so that one of your cards will report from 1 to 9% of its CL, and the others $ 0.

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hope this helps.. Had file bk in 08 and household and orchard were included in my bk and in 09 got a orchard bank card again $320 limit and 3 years later it got to $1020 I always use almost 90% of the limit and and only once paid it in full, I usually have only 300 available credit on it,but I do make more than the minimum payment,I was told they look at my payment history the Csr said that paying in full every month is not going to increase my chances
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.