Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How important is CC diversity?

tag
FrugalRican
Blogger

How important is CC diversity?

Just out of curiousity, I'm wondering how important forum-goers think diversity in your CC portfolio is, and I mean specifically when it comes to two things:

(1) Brands (Mastercard, VISA, AMEX, Discover, etc...)

(2) Banks (Chase, BoA, First Premier...)

I've yet to see any compelling evidence overall to suggest that someone who only has AMEX or only has Chase cards would do any worse than one person who has 1 of each. I've seen quite a few posts here citing the desire to diversify their portfolio of cards and I understand the logical reasoning of not putting all of your eggs in one basket with finances, but I've also seen posts stating that they want to do it... "just because".

So how important is it to you and how important do you think it is to prospective lenders that you have a diverse credit portfolio, whether it's different banks or different brands?

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How important is CC diversity?

FICO wise a TL is a TL. However, lenders do want to see prime lenders and good CLs from national banks will likely make them more willing to follow suit. I don't think the payment network makes a single bit of difference.
Message 2 of 21
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Good topic!

I'm of the opinion that it's best not to put all of one's eggs in one basket, so I like the idea of getting cards from more than one bank/issuer. That way, if you come to a parting of the ways for whatever reason, there are other options in your wallet. I also like having different cards for differnet purposes -- rewards, terms, etc. -- and then use the card that makes the best sense for a particular purchase.

Moreover, I think that one really needs to have more than just an Amex or Discover in one's wallet, as not every establishment accepts those cards. I know, I know... some people have stated that they won't do business with a company that doesn't accept Amex. But you never know when you might run into an emergency and need to tender payment to a merchant that doesn't accept Amex. For me personally, I'm just a lot happier feeling prepared for whatever life might throw.

My two cents, FWIW. I'm sure that others will have different opinions.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 3 of 21
Link2k
Valued Member

A few weeks ago Mastered and Visa weren't processing for a lot of locations because of a third party intermediary being down. Having an Amex or Discover would still be preferable to paying cash or debit.

I've heard of people having all their assets with a bank or CU (checking, savings, CC, etc.) frozen. If they are your only company you are truly up a creek. Diversifying should have a practical purpose just like any decision however in the real world people are free to make decisions based on any criteria they like no matter how non sensical or emotional the reasoning.

Message 4 of 21
HikingFICOMountain
New Contributor

I am one of the posters that has admitted to wanting diversity in my CC portfolio.

My main reasons mirror the response above regarding not putting all eggs in one basket, having different options when certain places don't accept certain cards, and experiencing the various rewards/options that come with each type of card.. 

I am not sure if this is true, but if it helps a lender see me in a better light, then that would be a bonus. Also, at the expense of vanity, I think it would be satisfying to have the card diversity for the sake of accomplishment after a long road to credit recovery.

~Four steps to achievement: Plan purposefully. Prepare prayerfully. Proceed positively. Pursue persistently~
Message 5 of 21
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I think one should have a relationship with two banks at the very least. That way if one credit card gets compromised or whatever, you still have another one as a back up. Issuers can also close the accounts at any time and if you only had cards from the one issuer you would be without cards for at least a week.

I would say you should  have a card for every processing network, except Discover because no one accepts them anyway. There are some places that do not take Visa and some that do not take Mastercard. I have never seen a place that only accepts American Express though but I guess it is still good to have.

I try to tell people this with all accounts. Having all of your money in one place is never a good idea. I have more accounts than a person should have probably but I never have to worry about  an account being shutdown or frozen for fraud and not having access to money.

Message 6 of 21
namvet
Established Contributor

Very important for all the reasons already posted.  For those new to credit it will take a while to achieve diversity but well worth the time and effort. 

Message 7 of 21
FrugalRican
Blogger

So far, I pretty much have one of each, but am more than likely going to say goodbye to the Mastercard in about 11 months. Bank of America simply will not let the annual fee die regardless of the fact that I've had the account in good standing for 9 years.

What prompted this thread for me was a conversation I had with someone else who was stunned to hear I'd close out my only Mastercard and simply not try to replace it with another one. If Bank of America wants to budge on the annual fee and keep me without charging me per year, then I'd stay, but as it is, I don't use the card. Still, that wouldn't stop me from keeping it and using it from time to time... simply for the diversity factor and for the factors detailed by some of the other posters.

To be honest, I've found more places that wouldn't take American Express than places that didn't take Discover.

Seems like quite the disparity and something I'd expect from less cosmopolitan areas, but I haven't also taken my cards into the heart of Manhattan yet.

Although I have one of each of the Big Four (so to speak), bank-wise I possess a BoA as well as Chase and in leaving BoA, when it comes to banks, I leave myself at the mercy of Chase. Whether I eventually take up a Citi Mastercard or whatever other bank that has a Mastercard in the future, time will tell...

But I still think I'd be amiss to say that it is not somewhat important to have a certain amount of diversity within your wallet. I've found myself in places where Discover wasn't accepted in a restaurant, so there goes the 5% cashback, but I can at least get 1% from another card. Any penny earned simply for paying is a dollar well spent in my book.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

i like have having one of each, for the different rewards

Message 9 of 21
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Other than the transactional issue people have suggested if systems are down (it happens), I don't see too many issues with not having both a Visa and a MC: they're effectively interchangable pretty much anywhere in the US that I'm aware of... I think their merchant fees were nearly identical for a while too so there was really no reason not to accept both but perhaps someone can give better information on that.

Discover is the only one occasionally not accepted where I'm at in the Los Angeles area, I have yet to find a place which doesn't accept Amex so I'm fine with just the two networks rather than worrying about carrying four cards (or three since I don't have a Discover currently but I read the signs for giggles).

I'm thinking about walking over to Chase and opening an account for whatever local needs I have and shutting down my BOFA accounts as well so I can certainly understand that desire.

        
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.