cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How in the world do I get myself better credit cards?

tag
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: How in the world do I get myself better credit cards?

@Razeus wrote:

^

Good suggestion.  I'm hoping once the 1 year of late pays are up (October 1), I get a nice boost to the score.  I just don't want to apply until I know I've gone the full 12 months with no late pays on anything.   Being a low score of 653 bothers me, so I'm hesitant to app for a card.  It'd be better if were 675. I'd be comfortable not to apply for anything until I know I'm in the low 700's. There would be no excuse for denial then.  My goal is to stay in the mid-700's.  Life is MUCH easier that way I find.

How come you dont sent GW for your late ?

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 11 of 24
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

I have, but to no avail.  The student loan people are hard noses for GW's.  After I have a full years worth of on time payments, I'll try again.

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 12 of 24
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

OMG.  I was just approved for a Chase Freedom card!!

I'll get everything in 7-10 days, but how to I know how much my credit limit it is?  I guess I find out when I get my card?  It it's not enough (say they give me $500) can I recon for more (say $2,500)?

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 13 of 24
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

What the...

Attempted the AMEX Zync card - APPROVED!

My Wallet:
Message 14 of 24
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

Chase Freedom CL is $5,000.  I'm in total shock.

My Wallet:
Message 15 of 24
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

Congratulations!

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 16 of 24
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Razeus, you are not understanding how utilization works.  Might want to search on forum.  Too lazy to type util discussion on iPad.  Maybe someone else will chime in.  You need to understand reported utilization and how it is reported.  In any case, congrats!!!

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 17 of 24
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

^

I understand utilization well.  What makes you think I don't?  The only card that carries a balance on my credit report is capital one.  Between Barclay and CapOne, my total CL is $1800.  The CapOne usually reports a $60-$70 balance mostly due to timing, but I'm not worried about it.

My Wallet:
Message 18 of 24
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Razeus wrote:

^

I understand utilization well.  What makes you think I don't?  The only card that carries a balance on my credit report is capital one.  Between Barclay and CapOne, my total CL is $1800.  The CapOne usually reports a $60-$70 balance mostly due to timing, but I'm not worried about it.

Jumped on computer so I could type this (ipad typing boo).  You made mention that you PIF after you get the bill.  Most cards report balance when the statement (ie bill) is generated.  Or did you mean bill as in charge shows up?  Also, you also mentioned not using over 30%.  However you can use a card as much as you like.  But if you want it to report low balance, just pay whatever is showing right before statement date.  Yes probably safer to restrict to 30%, but that is a hassle.  Reported utilization is what is used for FICO calculations and reported utilization typically occurs once a month and usually on statement date.  Also, you know ideal utilization for maxing fico out is 1 card at 1-9% of both card and total utilization and rest of the cards reporting 0%.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 19 of 24
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

Ok I see what you mean.  I'll look into this.  I just know the way I've been doing it, my reports don't show all that I charge on it for the month (which is just gas) and just show basically the last week of charges I put on it.  I'll dig deeper into this though.

My Wallet:
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.