How is Amex these days

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How is Amex these days

@Isacking97 wrote:

@blondy250 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Haven't been here in a while so not up to date on much. Thinking about getting an Amex again. When I left them it was on good terms so shouldn't be an issue.

I'm curious how they are treating everyone lately?

They are just like any other kind of card issuer, pay your bill on time and don't do anything strange and you'll be fine. However since many (most) of your posts are complaints about Amex i think you should probably stay away.

Many of the complaints are from people how has used the card irresposibly or there credit score has gone down to under 620

The wonderful thing about this forum is the different input we get from everyone; the comments provide OP with some insight into the posters experiences with Amex and hopefully it will help him make an informed decision about whether or not to apply. 

Have a great week. Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 32
Isacking97
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Isacking97 wrote:

@blondy250 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Haven't been here in a while so not up to date on much. Thinking about getting an Amex again. When I left them it was on good terms so shouldn't be an issue.

I'm curious how they are treating everyone lately?

They are just like any other kind of card issuer, pay your bill on time and don't do anything strange and you'll be fine. However since many (most) of your posts are complaints about Amex i think you should probably stay away.

Many of the complaints are from people how has used the card irresposibly or there credit score has gone down to under 620

The wonderful thing about this forum is the different input we get from everyone; the comments provide OP with some insight into the posters experiences with Amex and hopefully it will help him make an informed decision about whether or not to apply. 

Have a great week. Smiley Happy

I understand Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Starting Score:EX: 713 EQ: 698
Message 22 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

The offers are also super-meh to me. 90% of them are obscure online retailers I don't shop at, and there aren't any restaurant offers. We'll see if they improve over time. 

I've used a few, but mostly they are things I wouldn't go for as well. Keep an eye on them periodically though. There are some good ones.

$50 off a $200 sunglass purchase is on my card now. A couple months back I used one for $25 back after spending $25 on hulu. That's basically three free months (or 2 and change if you do the no commercial plan)

Message 23 of 32
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

The offers are also super-meh to me. 90% of them are obscure online retailers I don't shop at, and there aren't any restaurant offers. We'll see if they improve over time. 

I've used a few, but mostly they are things I wouldn't go for as well. Keep an eye on them periodically though. There are some good ones.

$50 off a $200 sunglass purchase is on my card now. A couple months back I used one for $25 back after spending $25 on hulu. That's basically three free months (or 2 and change if you do the no commercial plan)

Unfortunately I have prescription sunglasses, lol

Message 24 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a bum I know 

Message 25 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

And that's meant as a joke. I'm not a bum cardholder
Message 26 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Works well for me. Chat Customer Service always goes great for me. I've only ever needed to call them once and that was the concierge... everything went great. 10 cards strong and not having a problem. Enjoying it fully. Smiley Very Happy

Message 27 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applied for the everyday card and was approved for 10k with a 790 experian so I'm happy. We will see how it goes
Message 28 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Applied for the everyday card and was approved for 10k with a 790 experian so I'm happy. We will see how it goes

The EveryDay (ED) is a great card to have! I have the ED, and it is my go to card for just about everything.

I've sung my praises about American Express before, and my opinion is no different. I've had my ED for about 9 months now, and in that time I was able to grow my limit from 2k to 10k thorugh 2 separate SP increases. If your credit profile supports it, and you show consistent use, they are pretty generous with their credit limit increases (the only reason I stopped at 10k was due to self-limiting my exposure on one card).

Aside from the card, I really like the website and mobile app due to the ease of navigation and intutive feel. They are also very quick with posting transactions and posting payments!

Message 29 of 32
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The EveryDay (ED) is a great card to have! I have the ED, and it is my go to card for just about everything.

I've sung my praises about American Express before, and my opinion is no different. I've had my ED for about 9 months now, and in that time I was able to grow my limit from 2k to 10k thorugh 2 separate SP increases. If your credit profile supports it, and you show consistent use, they are pretty generous with their credit limit increases (the only reason I stopped at 10k was due to self-limiting my exposure on one card).

Aside from the card, I really like the website and mobile app due to the ease of navigation and intutive feel. They are also very quick with posting transactions and posting payments!

Eddie, I briefly looked through some of your old posts to understand others' comments about your distaste for Amex.

Did you close your card(s) previously because you thought the FRs were excessive? You didn't like the overall value of perks and rewards? Or didn't find the regular (non-FR-related) customer service competent?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.