cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is BofA Travel Rewards a travel card..?

tag
Bman70
Established Contributor

How is BofA Travel Rewards a travel card..?

As opposed to just a point-based version of Quicksilver? I don't see any attractive travel perks really.. 

Trying to decide whether to PC my Cash Rewards to Travel Rewards or Better Balance (for the paltry $25).

I just don't need these 3/2/1 categories since they're covered better by my other cards.

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
sunkissed
Established Contributor

Re: How is BofA Travel Rewards a travel card..?

The only "feature" of the BoA Travel Rewards card that makes it a travel card: no foreign transaction fee.  I don't find the BoA card line up very appealing.  Good luck!

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 2 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

As opposed to just a point-based version of Quicksilver? I don't see any attractive travel perks really.. 

Trying to decide whether to PC my Cash Rewards to Travel Rewards or Better Balance (for the paltry $25).

I just don't need these 3/2/1 categories since they're covered better by my other cards.

Just marketing.  Arrival and Venture, for example, are just cashback cards with better redemption rates for travel.

You can say "Double rewards when redeemed for travel" or "rewards halved when not used for travel" depending whether you promote them as 1 point per $ or 2 points per $.

I think this card is similar.

Message 3 of 9
UTK_GOBO
Valued Member

I had this card, you can redeem your points for travel related purchases made up to 6 months ago which I really love. 

I have way too many cards ...
Message 4 of 9
Commutator
Valued Member

Well, they give BofA customers a 10% bonus on points. The card also has a chip. Does the Quicksilver have one?

And I guess for new cardholders, BofA doesn't pull all three bureaus?

Message 5 of 9
Bman70
Established Contributor

@Commutator wrote:

Well, they give BofA customers a 10% bonus on points. The card also has a chip. Does the Quicksilver have one?

OK the 10% bonus. Quicksilver doesn't have a chip. Neither has FTF I think. I just found out they have their BofA Travel Center, if you book travel through there you get 3% points back. Seems a little slow and buggy, and not as good of deals as Priceline etc. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 6 of 9
Commutator
Valued Member

@Bman70 wrote:

@Commutator wrote:

OK the 10% bonus. Quicksilver doesn't have a chip. Neither has FTF I think. I just found out they have their BofA Travel Center, if you book travel through there you get 3% points back. Seems a little slow and buggy, and not as good of deals as Priceline etc. 

Yea, the BofA Travel Center isn't very good. I haven't had anything to buy from there yet.

Message 7 of 9
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Its a cashback card that you can use overseas.  It lets you redeem for purchases up to 12 months ago and a ton of stuff counts as travel, more than arrival or csp.  Just going out around town for the day, probably one of the daily expenses have counted for travel.  So I use it for 1.5x points whenever I don't have another card with greater redemption.  Then, when I have some points saved and feel like I could use some cash back, I just redeem it for the travel expenses.  I guess it is quite similar to Quicksilver, but I didn't want a Capital One card.  Quicksilver would work as a travel card for me too, though.  I consider any card that I can use in foreign countries without ridiculous fees a travel card.  Which makes nearly all of my cards travel cards except for the Amex.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 8 of 9
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

It really depends on how you use it.  For my money, BOA Travel Rewards is the best no AF, low spend travel card out there because:

1.  No FTF

2.  EMV (for Europe/Asia)

3.  1.5% back on every purchase (if applied toward paying travel expenses as a statement credit)

I have the Arrival + as well and did a comparison.  Basically if you plan on running a lot through the card, Arrival + is your better bet.  However if you are doing low/medium spend definitely the BOA wins hands down.  You'd have to spend ~$1100/month on average on the Arrival+ in order to beat BOA Travel in terms of rewards (when factoring in the annual fee).

As far as comparing with the Cap One QS (no AF), it's basically the same except the BOA has the EMV.  Some other considerations...BOA is known for giving fairly generous CLI (albeit with a HP).  Cap One soft pulls CLI's...but we all know how that goes Smiley Wink  

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.