Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is Chase with CLIs Lately?

tag
smc733
Valued Contributor

Re: How is Chase with CLIs Lately?

@Jerry45 wrote:

It seems to me, with info from many Chase holders here, that CLI's come mostly when you pay in full each month.

PIF every month for the 36+ months I've had the card.  No luck yet.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 11 of 35
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Well Said. Personally, I was given a Freedom siggy right off the bat, and I do not expect any CLI's in the future.

In terms of Discover, they are great domestically, but not a good bet in Europe. Very hard to use in London or Paris.

Message 12 of 35
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

@Jerry45 wrote:

It seems to me, with info from many Chase holders here, that CLI's come mostly when you pay in full each month.

PIF every month for the 36+ months I've had the card.  No luck yet.

Wow! That is depressing, I had the Freedom for 8 months and run a balance on the 0 APR. LOL.

Message 13 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Curious: Would the lack of auto CLI chances also ring true for CSP? Seeing more talk about the Freedom in this thread.
Message 14 of 35
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

Best strategy for Chase cards is to app for new cards, not to request CLI's. They are stingy with

auto CLI's and stingy & HP happy for customer requested CLI's. Chase appears to give you

what they think you need. 

If you keep your reports in Chase's preferred manner - PIF and low or no new accounts or inquiries -

they can be very generous with CL on new cards for existing customers. They also will move that

CL around easily. So it doesn't make sense to request CLI - which they don't accomodate - and go

for a new app - for which they are easy and generous.

Once you get signature status on a Freedom ($5K CL), there isn't really any reason to expend effort

or a HP for a CLI request. Past the bonus categories, spending on a Freedom is uncompetitive. 

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 15 of 35
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

@bada_bing wrote:

Best strategy for Chase cards is to app for new cards, not to request CLI's. They are stingy with

auto CLI's and stingy & HP happy for customer requested CLI's. Chase appears to give you

If you keep your reports in Chase's preferred manner - PIF and low or no new accounts or inquiries -

they can be very generous with CL on new cards for existing customers. They also will move that

CL around easily. So it doesn't make sense to request CLI - which they don't accomodate - and go

Once you get signature status on a Freedom ($5K CL), there isn't really any reason to expend effort

or a HP for a CLI request. Past the bonus categories, spending on a Freedom is uncompetitive. 

Well Said. Makes a lot of sense. Thanks

Message 16 of 35
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@bada_bing wrote:

This approach can work but the rub is that you have to want a new product from them, and you're taking a HP and an AAOA ding all for a "CLI". To me, it's not worth it unless you truly were going to apply for the new product anyway.

Message 17 of 35
smc733
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

This approach can work but the rub is that you have to want a new product from them, and you're taking a HP and an AAOA ding all for a "CLI". To me, it's not worth it unless you truly were going to apply for the new product anyway.

Exactly.  Not worth it, IMO.  I suppose this was never destined to be a primary spend card anyhow.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 18 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

With all the Chase drama going on, I wouldn't apply for a card unless I really needed it and I know for sure I'm going to keep it. If you get like 20,000 dollar limit on your new chase card that you have intentions of keeping and wanting to move some over to a Freedom to make it a siggy, that's fine.

They are hard pull happy. I called the Disney line once and they asked me why I didn't use my card and I said well the limit is really low and I put my vacation on it, I would max the card out. She replied "How much do you need?"
Message 19 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

the other day i asked for a CLI on my freedom and CSP to took two pulls

freddom 4k to 7k

csp 6.5k to 10k

hope it helps! 

Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.