cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is Chase with consumer-initiated CLIs?

tag
skigirl916
Established Contributor

How is Chase with consumer-initiated CLIs?

Stingy? Generous? What's been your experience?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
CraigHwk
Regular Contributor

Re: How is Chase with consumer-initiated CLIs?

Very stingy. Most people find it better to open a new account and transfer credit limits between cards.
USAA MC ✪ Amex BCP, SPG, Platinum ✪ Chase Sapphire Preferred, Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, Marriott Rewards, United Explorer ✪ Discover IT ✪ CapOne QS ✪ Fidelity Visa ✪ BarclaysPlatinum Rewards ✪ Citi Double Cash

Starting EX FICO (2010): 513 | Current FICO: EX 759, EQ: 773, TU: 761
Message 2 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

My advice: Don't bother. They are stingy. They require a HP for any request and aren't known for giving a large amount even with the HP.

Most people prefer the "open a new card and move limits around" strategy which can work, but then you're taking a HP and AAOA ding and obtaining a new card you may not need/want. To me, it's one of the reasons Chase is overrated. They basically refuse to grow with people (CLI/APR reductions are both basically nonexistent), and having to do "workarounds" is pretty ridiculous.

Message 3 of 19
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

Extremely stingy. You'd waste a HP for nothing - they will come up with a million reasons to deny your request. On the other hand - they are generous and will approve you for a good limit when you apply for a new account!

Current Cards:
Message 4 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Apply for something new and then move CL around!

I say something like CSP or Marriott since you have a Freedom now... the co-branded seem to give the largest CL's and then you could move all but $5k over if you wanted all the limit on freedom but keep the new card open for a year or more.

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 on stingy CLI...its easier to get blood from a stone.

Or you could just open another account and get a much higher new limit and then move your limits around.

Message 6 of 19
skigirl916
Established Contributor

I already have 4 Chase cards (CSP, Freedom, Southwest, Slate), so I'm not keen on opening a fifth. I'd just like a larger line, without shrinking another.

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

In that case your options are:
Waste a HP (or two) and likely end up denied or
Stick with what you have
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its like a wife. It will not just grow on you thru the years

P.S. Just for fun. I love my wife.

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

As previously stated, not very well. I had an easier time getting approved for the Marriott Rewards Card than I did getting a CLI on my Freedom card.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.