Did you mean: 

How is Citi with thin files?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How is Citi with thin files?

@14Fiesta wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been looking at cards to apply for when I hit my 1 year credit history mark. I'm at 6 months right now but just doing some research so that I have an idea what to look into.  I've noticed that not many people seem to mention Citi as much as Chase/Cap1/etc. I've got an eye on their Thank You and their HHonors cards (doubt I should even dream of apping for the Double Cash right now). Are they really hard on having a 1 year history; should I hold out like I'm planning for Amex until I hit 1.5-2 years?

Why hold out for the double cash? Its underwriting criteria cannot be that different than their other cards.  You don't need a super long history to get prime cards. As long as your report is spotless of blemishes and excess inquires, and you have low utilization, you could probably get any card you want. (With the exception of Chase, as they do like at least 1 year. But AMEX only needs 6 months of CC history.)

Given how good the rewards are I pretty much figured that it would be tougher to get. I only have 3 inquiries each on TU and EQ and none of EX, keep no more than 16% util on my credit, and pay everything off. Seems like I'll have a lot of apps to do come March when it turns 1 year. Thanks for the encouragment. I probably would have skipped over the Double Cash otherwise. 

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

edited to below

Message 12 of 16
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@red259 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I've tried just about everything imagineable with Citi and nothing they do makes logical sense to me.  They deny a 6 month CLI increase (which is usually $1400) and turn around the same day and approve a new $10k card.  Go figure.  And they've done the same thing when I submitted a hard pull CLI request.

Anyways, Citi was my first real card when I was rebuilding.  They sent me a targeted offer and it was instantly approved.  I don't know how they are specifically on thin files though.  Are you pre-qualified for anything?  I churn their HHonors cards in between AAdvantage applications and it really takes a lot of HHonors points to redeem anywhere decent.  The board certainly loves Chase and Amex (Chase is great for reconsideration and Amex for the backdating).  Citi isn't known for either.  But go for whatever you're more interested in.

It takes soo many hilton points to get a decent location that I'm not even thinking about churning for points with them. My interest in the hilton card is to get the hotel status and free weekend nights. I may just get the reserve card and keep it for the annual night. The AA cards are another story (this will likely change next year once merger is complete), although my accounts are not old enough to do heavy churning yet but probably by next spring when my first two accounts cross the two year mark in age.

Yup, American will definitely be doing another devaluation in 2015.  Are you pre-qualified for anything?

Message 13 of 16
red259
Super Contributor

@B335is wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I've tried just about everything imagineable with Citi and nothing they do makes logical sense to me.  They deny a 6 month CLI increase (which is usually $1400) and turn around the same day and approve a new $10k card.  Go figure.  And they've done the same thing when I submitted a hard pull CLI request.

Anyways, Citi was my first real card when I was rebuilding.  They sent me a targeted offer and it was instantly approved.  I don't know how they are specifically on thin files though.  Are you pre-qualified for anything?  I churn their HHonors cards in between AAdvantage applications and it really takes a lot of HHonors points to redeem anywhere decent.  The board certainly loves Chase and Amex (Chase is great for reconsideration and Amex for the backdating).  Citi isn't known for either.  But go for whatever you're more interested in.

It takes soo many hilton points to get a decent location that I'm not even thinking about churning for points with them. My interest in the hilton card is to get the hotel status and free weekend nights. I may just get the reserve card and keep it for the annual night. The AA cards are another story (this will likely change next year once merger is complete), although my accounts are not old enough to do heavy churning yet but probably by next spring when my first two accounts cross the two year mark in age.

Yup, American will definitely be doing another devaluation in 2015.  Are you pre-qualified for anything?

Pre-qualified for Citi TY Premier, Citi Hilton (non-AF version). double cash back, citi ty prefer and citi simplicity card. I don't see any offers for AA cards, but I think there is some sort of time limit on the AA cards I can get because I got the citi AA exec card in march. It was the reason I ended up getting the Amex SPG to top off my AA account. In Jan I was to pick up another citi card so I was thinking Hilton reserve and will go for AA cards once they become available to me again. The double cash I may pick up in the spring.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I have no idea why this post didn't go through properly. Thanks for the heads up about the HHonors. I might skip it then. Most of my travel needs will be taken care of through ShopDiscover. Only reason I wanted the HHonors was because I tend to gravitate to Doubletree hotels. 

Message 15 of 16
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I have no idea why this post didn't go through properly. Thanks for the heads up about the HHonors. I might skip it then. Most of my travel needs will be taken care of through ShopDiscover. Only reason I wanted the HHonors was because I tend to gravitate to Doubletree hotels. 

Well if your going to be staying in Doubletrees then the gold status may be worth it unless you have it already. Also with the reserve you get two free weekend nights as the bonus if you meet initial spend requirements, so you could use those nights as well. Makes the card worthwhile if your actually going to stay with hilton, especially on weekends. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.