cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is payment applied with 2 diff BT offers for the same acct?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How is payment applied with 2 diff BT offers for the same acct?

So I currently have a BT offer on my Capitol One card since Aug of this year. I am paying $100 a paycheck to have this paid off in 18 months. I do not use the card for other purcahses.

Cap 1 sent me another set of checks for 0% for 18 months. If I use those as well, and pay $200 a paycheck how is the money applied? Does $200 go to the first BT and nothing to the second(new) one? How can I make payments to each IE: $100 on the first one and $100 on the second one? Any issues I need to know about?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: How is payment applied with 2 diff BT offers for the same acct?

@Anonymous wrote:

So I currently have a BT offer on my Capitol One card since Aug of this year. I am paying $100 a paycheck to have this paid off in 18 months. I do not use the card for other purcahses.

Cap 1 sent me another set of checks for 0% for 18 months. If I use those as well, and pay $200 a paycheck how is the money applied? Does $200 go to the first BT and nothing to the second(new) one? How can I make payments to each IE: $100 on the first one and $100 on the second one? Any issues I need to know about?

Thanks!

I don't trust banks, so I always work on the assumption that the payments would be applied in the manner most advantageous to the bank and least advantageous to me.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anybody else have any info on this?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might have to contact Cap One to find out how your payments would be allocated. Typically, anything beyond a minimum payment would be put towards highest interest charges first, but not too certain how the overlap of BTs would work when they'd both be 0% for a while.

Message 4 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

You might have to contact Cap One to find out how your payments would be allocated. Typically, anything beyond a minimum payment would be put towards highest interest charges first, but not too certain how the overlap of BTs would work when they'd both be 0% for a while.

+1

I know with Synchrony if you have two promotions at the same time any amount over your minimum payment goes to the promotion expiring the earliest (which is is your favor), but I've personally never had this situation with Capital One.

I suspect they will 'do the right thing' but it would still be nice to hear (or better yet, read) it officially.  Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 6
Aahz
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

I know with Synchrony if you have two promotions at the same time any amount over your minimum payment goes to the promotion expiring the earliest (which is is your favor), but I've personally never had this situation with Capital One.

I suspect they will 'do the right thing' but it would still be nice to hear (or better yet, read) it officially.  Smiley Wink

Both Barclay's and BofA process payments with multiple 0% BTs the same way - 100% applied to earliest expiring offer.  As does Blispay with multiple 0% promo balances. I assume CapOne would be the same.  

Please come back and let us know once you've got a definitive answer from CapOne!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.