Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How it's working for you?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How it's working for you?

How is your Chase Freedom Ultimate Rewards program working for you?

How is Rotating Bonus Categories working for you?   Do you get to see the earned pts on the monthly statement?  (Discover does)

Chase FreedomSM

• Get 5% Cash Back offers in popular rotating categories ...

Oct 09' ~ Dec 09'       ???

Jan 10' ~ Mar 10'       Dining Out / Education / Child Care / Utility 

The utility is include Cable/Satelite, TV, Phone, Cell Phone, Internet.

April 10' - Jun 10'      Home Improvement / Home furnishings / Lawn & Garden / Drugstores

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

Re: How it's working for you?

Hi bunny

This month "utilities" is one of the rewards catagories.  I usually pay online directly through my checking account and tried to pay with my Freedom card but with National Grid it was very difficult to pay by credit card so I didn't use it for my utilities!

I used it a few times for "dining" but that earned me a negligible amount of points.  I don't really eat out that much.

TU Fico 736 EQ Fico 730 (December 2012)
Message 2 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@blacklotus wrote:

Hi bunny

This month "utilities" is one of the rewards catagories.  I usually pay online directly through my checking account and tried to pay with my Freedom card but with National Grid it was very difficult to pay by credit card so I didn't use it for my utilities!

I used it a few times for "dining" but that earned me a negligible amount of points.  I don't really eat out that much.

This is on Ultimate Rewards? or on the Freedom categories?

My Ultimate Rewards doesn't have categories. Just 1% on whatever. Please don't tell me that I'm in an even lamer category than I thought... Smiley Tongue

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 7
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

LOL 

I'm not even sure.  I didn't even think I had to "register" my card for the three catagories until I explored the website!  There are two buttons under my statement one for "Ultimate Rewards" which I went to "enroll" in the three monthly catagories and then there is a button for "show rewards" and I think that's the one you're talking about- it's 1% on everything I believe?

I think that the three catagories are sort of like an "offer" that doesn't really cost you anything but that you still have to "accept"- weird I haven't taken the time to completely figure this out maybe someone else can clarify this!

Other than that its a very flexible card that allows you to set different options such as when you want to pay your bill and etc. etc. (this is called the "Blueprint" feature which has its own button).

BTW I am still in the promotional APR period (0%) otherwise I probably wouldn't carry a balance as per the advice on this forum.

Message 4 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Dear Chase has not yet seen fit to extend me the invitation to register for the three categories.

Or rather, they send me a generic e-mail every other week or so to sign up, but it won't accept my info when I try. I feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football when Lucy is holding it.

I've been given a string of lies lot of different explanations as to why this is happening, but per the most recent snotty Chase CSR, I haven't run enough $$$ through the card. I told her that I would if they'd give me the categories, so we're in a who-blinks-first contest.

I told her I'd use it a lot this quarter, and then if they didn't let me enroll, I'd close the card. She didn't seem shattered. Smiley Very Happy

My card was converted from a Chase Borders Visa when they dropped the program, and I am now apparently part of the largish Chase leper colony, along with former WaMu customers and what-not.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

My card was converted from a Chase Borders Visa when they dropped the program, and I am now apparently part of the largish Chase leper colony, along with former WaMu customers and what-not.

Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 7
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

LOL at that!

You want to hear something funnier?

I usually get a few "preselected" or "preapproved" CC offers in my snail-mail (the kind that requires a postage stamp) for mainly subprime cards- it still makes me laugh when I occasionally get one that has an actual paper card glued to it!  I usually scan the APR's and throw them out.

Last December I got a "preapproved" letter for the Chase Freedom!  I called the number to apply and when I got back from my X-Mas vacation it was in my mailbox.

BTW thoughts on the three catagories- like I said it doesn't seem that big of a deal and I'm sure it's just a matter of finding out which button or CSR that you need to talk to.  I say not that big of a deal because I used it at McDonald's for about $10- 5% of $10= 50 cents.  But I guess this could add up if you eat out alot.

NOTE:  Personal thought on subprime cards- at a point when my credit sucked bad I tried these- I strongly feel that they do nothing for you as far as building credit and consumers would be better off doing what I do and filing them in the circular file (trash).  At a point when my credit was jacked what really helped me was staying away from CC and learning to live on cash only which did tremendous things for my saving and budgeting skills.  I read a few months ago they are offering a subprime card with an APR of 80%- people are never going to raise their Fico with this crappola.  

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.