Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How limited is US AMEX acceptance?

tag
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

How limited is US AMEX acceptance?

Just curious if AMEX acceptance is still limited these days. I would assume that all big companies (gas stations, supermarkets, restaurants, online retailers and sizeable B&M stores, etc) accept it? Are the only merchants that don't (for the most part) mom and pop stores or very small businesses where the merchant fees just aren't worth it to them?

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How limited is US AMEX acceptance?

I have only run up some small operators who do not take the card and most of them are in rural areas. In the bigger cities it isnt even an issue.

Message 2 of 31
user5387
Valued Contributor

I have large insurance and utility bills where Amex is out.

Message 3 of 31
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@msf12555 wrote:

Just curious if AMEX acceptance is still limited these days. I would assume that all big companies (gas stations, supermarkets, restaurants, online retailers and sizeable B&M stores, etc) accept it? Are the only merchants that don't (for the most part) mom and pop stores or very small businesses where the merchant fees just aren't worth it to them?

I rarely find a place that does not take it however my partner works in Korea Town and restaurants in that area rarely take it...

I actually think some of the smaller places now that "Square" has come out are starting to take Amex because they don't actually get charged anymore to take it.

Message 4 of 31
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

I have large insurance and utility bills where Amex is out.

State Farm started taking Amex in Jan.!!!~ Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 31
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@gdale6 wrote:

I have only run up some small operators who do not take the card and most of them are in rural areas. In the bigger cities it isnt even an issue.

This question has been asked before and I have to disagree with gdale6 regarding 'rural areas'.  In So Cal, one of the more popular hamburger chains, In n Out does not accept Amex. 

When I was in NY last year, I noticed it wasn't widely accepted at restaurants either. 

Message 6 of 31
john398
Senior Contributor

my power and gas companies do not take it

Message 7 of 31
RnJ
Contributor

Acceptance in my area is high, the majority of online shops accept Amex as well (and that's being said broadly, I use quite a few off-the-wall online shops).

I do not however, ever use Amex at gas stations - in my area, holds of double the amount is never worth it.  I'm not worried about being covered, I just have an adversion to those who put incredibly high holds on a purchase.

Message 8 of 31
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

This question has been asked before and I have to disagree with gdale6 regarding 'rural areas'.  In So Cal, one of the more popular hamburger chains, In n Out does not accept Amex. 

When I was in NY last year, I noticed it wasn't widely accepted at restaurants either. 

Lexie, you are correct.  There are many restaurants, gas stations and other locations that do not accept AMEX.  I live in a large suburb of NY and this is true not only in my town but the surrounding towns as well.

Message 9 of 31
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I haven't had any issues lately.  There is one gas station in my town that doesn't take it despite having the sticker in their window, so I don't go there anymore. 

Interestingly enough, there's a restaurant in NYC we went to that accepts Amex and cash only.  I'm glad I had it on me then because I didn't want to run to an ATM for cash!

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.