Did you mean: 

How limited is US AMEX acceptance?

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: How limited is US AMEX acceptance?

@enharu wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

Interesting. Just proves the point that Amex doesn't have universal acceptance. But, I think it has improved over the years.

I agree.

It's definitely much better compared to the days when Amex & Discover were getting shafted by MC and Visa.

The biggest problem for Amex however is overseas acceptance. Discover has managed to work out agreements with other networks, such as UnionPay, which has drastically increased their acceptance, especially in Asia. Hopefully this will improve in the future. But first of all, Amex needs to get rid of FTFs on their travel and charge cards.

Couldn't agree with you more!  Hopefully, with the Delta FTF being removed other Amex cards will soon follow.  

Message 21 of 31
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

So then here is this question... Let's say that you are deciding between two different cards, one AMEX and one Visa / MC. The AMEX offers better benefits for your situation, (more cashback / points / miles, categories better suited for your spend, whatever), but the Visa / MC is obviously more widely accepted. Assuming US spend only, which card do you go with?

Message 22 of 31
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

I have not run into any issues with Amex or Discover so far...except at Sams Club (not accepting Amex).

Message 23 of 31
navyox
Regular Contributor

The only place I've not been able to use AMEX that I can recall in the last few years are doctors' offices and my dentist.   Oh, and one Chinese takeout place I like.  I don't know of a single gas station around here that doesn't take AMEX.

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 24 of 31
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

I am in SF and I have no major issue. It's accepted in all the places I usually spend money at. Of course, I'd run into the occasional business that does not accept it but for the most part, it's pretty good. 

Message 25 of 31
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@msf12555 wrote:

Just curious if AMEX acceptance is still limited these days. I would assume that all big companies (gas stations, supermarkets, restaurants, online retailers and sizeable B&M stores, etc) accept it? Are the only merchants that don't (for the most part) mom and pop stores or very small businesses where the merchant fees just aren't worth it to them?

I don't think it's limited at all, to be honest. Any large retailer takes AmEx, even fast food places take it. Generally, only small "Mom & Pop" stores don't, as well as nail salons and barber shops. I live in NYC, so that may play a big part...lol.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 26 of 31
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@msf12555 wrote:

Just curious if AMEX acceptance is still limited these days. I would assume that all big companies (gas stations, supermarkets, restaurants, online retailers and sizeable B&M stores, etc) accept it? Are the only merchants that don't (for the most part) mom and pop stores or very small businesses where the merchant fees just aren't worth it to them?

I don't think it's limited at all, to be honest. Any large retailer takes AmEx, even fast food places take it. Generally, only small "Mom & Pop" stores don't, as well as nail salons and barber shops. I live in NYC, so that may play a big part...lol.

Well, as others have said here, yes, it is limited to at least some extent!   The number of places that take Amex but don't take Visa/MC is much smaller than the other way around.   Basically, it isn't a problem until it becomes a problem (as in enharu's example of carrying just an Amex).   While several small stores here don't take Amex, neither does the biggest animal hospital in the area (although interestingly its adoption part does, guess they try to minimize the barriers to people adopting pets)

Message 27 of 31
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

Interesting. Just proves the point that Amex doesn't have universal acceptance. But, I think it has improved over the years.

I agree.

It's definitely much better compared to the days when Amex & Discover were getting shafted by MC and Visa.

The biggest problem for Amex however is overseas acceptance. Discover has managed to work out agreements with other networks, such as UnionPay, which has drastically increased their acceptance, especially in Asia. Hopefully this will improve in the future. But first of all, Amex needs to get rid of FTFs on their travel and charge cards.

Couldn't agree with you more!  Hopefully, with the Delta FTF being removed other Amex cards will soon follow.  

+1. 2.7% FTF is not going to cut when Visa and Mastercards and Discover offer no FTFs

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 28 of 31
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@efranklin23 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

I agree.

+1. 2.7% FTF is not going to cut when Visa and Mastercards and Discover offer no FTFs

While the number of FTF-free (FTFF?) cards has increased over the years, we really haven't seen a massive move to get rid of them.  Capital One is the only one that comes to mind with no FTF across the range (don't count Discover as the range is small!).  So my assumption, perhaps particularly with Amex, is that there is a large user base that doesn't know or doesn't care about FTF.  Some may get reimbursed, others may feel the benefits of Amex, such as better siding with the customer, make it worth it paying the fee.

Message 29 of 31
Open123
Super Contributor

@msf12555 wrote:

So then here is this question... Let's say that you are deciding between two different cards, one AMEX and one Visa / MC. The AMEX offers better benefits for your situation, (more cashback / points / miles, categories better suited for your spend, whatever), but the Visa / MC is obviously more widely accepted. Assuming US spend only, which card do you go with?

Assuming that I didn't anticipate spending a large amount at an establishment who doesn't take Amex, I'd go with the better rewards (combination on spend and sign-up bonus).

I always believe that "what I get" is the first priority, with everything else a distant second.

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.