cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long after PIF for credit limit to be freed up?

tag
ceejx
Established Contributor

Re: How long after PIF for credit limit to be freed up?

@Anonymous wrote:

You may want to call their cust svc area. Sometimes a rep will be able to release it sooner, or worst case call the bank it is drafted off of to verify it has cleared.

+1 this, I pay multiple times throughout the month and any large payment I have to call and have them release it, simple process and usually takes a minute or two. They do this at first to make sure you're not paying it with another fraudulant account or something...

Message 11 of 22
traveler2005
Established Contributor

I really don't understand, I have several cap 1 cards, I have made payments over 500.00, I have never had a hold on any of them. I pay one day, and the next day the full limit is available. Now barclays on the other hand, 90% of the time puts a hold on my payment 5-7 days. I have always paid on time, and never had a payment returned. Most of my payments are fairly large though.

Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Goal Score: 700 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 12 of 22
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Just as an update:

I made a cash payment yesterday, and it posted and increased available credit this morning. I guess Cash does trump above all else.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 13 of 22
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

I have pushed multiple payments on my puny little CapOne many, many times and have never seen a payment put on hold. The credit has always been immediately available to me.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 14 of 22
Fresh101
Regular Contributor

I just went thru the same sittuation last week. I made a payment of $389 and it was already taken out of my checking, but when I checked the balance with Cap1, it was not available. It got posted right away as payment, but available balance became updated after 3 business day of payment. I had called them and they do put your payment on hold. Your money should be available most likely tomorrow.

Starting: 547 +Score EX, 541 MyFico EQ,562 MyFico TU (Dec 2nd)

Current: 736 FCR "EX" (Nov. 5th), 668 MyFico "EQ" (Nov. 5th), 748 MyFico "TU" (Nov. 5th)

CC: BB&T $2,500 CL 3/2013, BarclayCard $3,000 CL 4/2013, WellsFargo $300 CL 7/2012 & Cap1 $451 CL 5/2012

Goal Score: 800's Rank
Message 15 of 22
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@traveler2005 wrote:

I really don't understand, I have several cap 1 cards, I have made payments over 500.00, I have never had a hold on any of them. I pay one day, and the next day the full limit is available. Now barclays on the other hand, 90% of the time puts a hold on my payment 5-7 days. I have always paid on time, and never had a payment returned. Most of my payments are fairly large though.

I've had the same experience. My Cap 1 card is my oldest at 14 years and I don't recall ever having funds held up.

But it certainly seems to happen to quite a few people.

Message 16 of 22
traveler2005
Established Contributor

I guess it depends on how much history you have with them, new account, missed payment, late payment, returned payment. I haven't had a hold on any of my payments

Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Goal Score: 700 across the board

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 17 of 22
Essence
Contributor

I've had varying problems with cap1 as well. I can't find a pattern. Some months the money is tied up for few days, sometimes not. I've never bothered to call but the hold seems to be released within 3 to 5 days
Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@traveler2005 wrote:

I guess it depends on how much history you have with them, new account, missed payment, late payment, returned payment. I haven't had a hold on any of my payments

Exactly. I believe it takes six (?) months of on-time payments before they start same-day posting (i.e. pay today, available credit tomorrow). I asked Peggy why the payment was being held, and that was her response.

I think this is one of the things that makes Cap1 cards be perceived as a "non-prime" in general.

Message 19 of 22
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

It's bs. I have no history of issuing fraudulent payments. I send them $300 check and they freeze it. It's insulting!!

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.