cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long after opening a Discover card can I request a credit limit increase?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long after opening a Discover card can I request a credit limit increase?

I opened a Discover It Chrome at the end of July, and received a pretty low limit. When I applied for an increase, I received an instant decline due to the time my account has been open. What is the minimum that Discover adheres to? My first statement has already cut and been paid off.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long after opening a Discover card can I request a credit limit increase?

I forget with mine but I was eligible for a SP CLI within either 60 or 90 days.

Message 2 of 16
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: How long after opening a Discover card can I request a credit limit increase?

90 days for the initial CLI

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've gone 90 days (opened 6/3/15 per credit report), with only 2 statements and I still get the same "Not sufficient experience with current limit".

Message 4 of 16
Kb109
Frequent Contributor

90 days. Smiley Happy

Filed Ch7: 6/21/17
Discharged: 10/03/17
Current FICO8 Scores as of 2/10/2019: EX 651, TU 678, EQ 679
My Cards: 1FBUSA $2,900 (survived BK7 and is my oldest account!), Fingerhut $1,100, CreditOne $900, Ollo Rewards $2,500, LendUp Arrow card $2,000, CapitalOne Platinum $3,000. GARDENING FOR THE NEXT TWO YEARS!
Message 5 of 16
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've gone 90 days (opened 6/3/15 per credit report), with only 2 statements and I still get the same "Not sufficient experience with current limit".

You just past up the 90 days, after your 3rd statement cuts you will be eligble. They also like significant payments on the account. If you are making the minimum or just above the minimun then it may take longer. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 6 of 16
ParadoxD
Valued Member

I just did mine and was approved for a $4k increase.  I opened my account 06/02/15 so it looks like 90 days is indeed correct.

EDIT:  I haven't had 3 statements cut, but I've made lots of payments and keep it PIF, so that may have something to do with it.

Message 7 of 16
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@ParadoxD wrote:

I just did mine and was approved for a $4k increase.  I opened my account 06/02/15 so it looks like 90 days is indeed correct.

EDIT:  I haven't had 3 statements cut, but I've made lots of payments and keep it PIF, so that may have something to do with it.

They love large payments and PIF, I got $4k a peice too on my last CLI request. 

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

After the third statement for me with a 3k cli without a request then I requested a cli and received 1500 more. I make very large payments, but carry a balance.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

So IYO, should I wait until my third statement or maybe try again tomorrow.  It looks to me, through various other threads, that it could happen at the day after 3 month mark for a lot of people, but I also don't want to abuse the button.  I haven't made substantial payments I don't think but I have made several in the range of 1/6 my limit (CL $1200).

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.