cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does Amex penalize you for a BK 7

tag
eyeball1

How long does Amex penalize you for a BK 7

I was wondering how long Amex would deny you a card becasue of a BK7. Some say until it comes off your CR which is 10 years?

Anyone ever get approval after a BK7?

Thx

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gmason
Contributor

Re: How long does Amex penalize you for a BK 7

7 years, 7 months after BK7 for me.

I applied numerous times before 7 years with no luck. This forum convinced me to try again last April and I first applied (and received) green card and then got the BCP a couple days later. 3x CLI worked at 61 days and waiting to try 6 month CLI again in a couple of weeks. Amex has been very good to me this year.

[EDIT] Just to add that Amex was not included in my bk7. The amex cards that I've received this year are the first amex cards I've ever had.

I also got on with Chase in April and later found out that my Providian (part of bk7) is in Chase's system. Chase is very reluctant to let me grow the relationship with them, although I have now gotten a Chase Freedom up to a $5k limit through recon. PIF each month with both Chase and Amex.

Message 2 of 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

It can vary by individual.  Some have not been able to get back with AMEX (if IIB) for >10 years, while others have been successful in re-establishing a relationship with AMEX much earlier than that, including folks who satisified or paid any AMEX COs.  If AMEX was not IIB, then the furthest in age the BK reflects on your CRs, the better the chances, but in some cases not always until it's removed from your CRs.

Message 3 of 4
sjt
Senior Contributor

@eyeball1 wrote:

I was wondering how long Amex would deny you a card becasue of a BK7. Some say until it comes off your CR which is 10 years?

Anyone ever get approval after a BK7?

Thx

Its one of those YMMV things. I have read folks getting the card anywhere from 5 to 10 years after BK. It depends on many factors, such as:

1. If Amex was IIB was included in BK
  2. Time since BK discharge
  3. Type of Amex you are applying for (charge or revolving)
  4. Credit established (mortgage, revolving credit lines, revolving usage, etc.)
  5. Utilization ratio
  6. Income
  7. Liqued Assets/Assets

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.