cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does capital one keep you on a blacklist?

tag
mgs2010
Regular Contributor

How long does capital one keep you on a blacklist?

I filed bankruptcy against a capital one credit card and in march 2011 the bk ch 7 was discharged. I owed capital one approximately 10,000.00 when I filed. The card was never sent to third party, infact I was never even late on the card once. Just hit rough times and had to file bankruptcy to get a fresh start. Now, I'm not expecting them to give me a card because obviously I burned them in my bankruptcy...But a close friend of mine had 2 credit cards with them that both charged off, one of which they sued him for. He also had a car loan that he was constantly late with and he ended up filing bankruptcy as well. Car was repossessed due to the bankruptcy. two days after his discharge he got a car loan from capital one again!! I was shocked. And then about a week or two after that he got 2 credit cards with them. **bleep**?! Are they stupid? Anyhow, after hearing about his good luck with getting a second chance with capital one I decided I would give it a try and apply for a credit card with them just a few weeks ago. Well, It instantly declined me. I got a letter in the mail that said I was declined due to a past account and that no credit check was performed. I just don't understand why they would give my friend a car loan and 2 cards after he burned them with both charge offs and bankruptcy...then I paid them on time up until the day I filed and they refuse to even consider it? I was really just looking for a card that doesnt have as many fees as credit one, first premier, ect. Does anyone know how long you stay on their black list for?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: How long does capital one keep you on a blacklist?

How much did your friend have charge off?  I would guess there is different treatment for $10,000 lost in your BK versus say a couple hundred charged off. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Blacklisting is not typical with them. I would expect that if you got another tradeline (say a secured card) and it reported for a few months, they would approve you.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to share my experience....we filed Ch 7 in July 2010 and dischared the very end of Sept 2010. About 3 months ago (9 months post bankruptcy) I started trying to get a credit card to help me and my husbands credit score. I could not even get a secured card from Capital One. My husband and I both BK them for about 2K each. I applied for several different cards, even the more subprime and could not get approved. Something must have *clicked* with our credit at the beginning of this month and my husband and I both got pre-approved offers from Capital One in the mail. For now, we are waiting to get a Capital One card. I also got a Discover card letter in the mail that week that I  was approved ($750 cl) for. It has been a huge relief actually, trying to get back on your feet is tough and discouraging at times. I think if you wait a little longer, maybe close to a year post bankruptcy, you may have better luck.

Message 4 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

The trick that I have learned after applying 3 times in the last 5 years since BK.... check pre-approval site and DONT apply to Cap1 if not pre-approved.

My friend has a charge off and got approved.

I have a charge off but Cap1 is still handeling account and got denied... I think once they release out of Cap1 as a company they will issue new card, but again check pre approval

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I discharged $800 with them 2yrs ago bk7. Acct had already been closed for abt 18mos. Checked for pre approval said was pre approved, got $750 platinum card. They r forgiving after including them on bk.
Message 6 of 15
IantoJones
Valued Member

I discharged ~$1500 of a $2000 CL in Ch. 7 (filed 6/30/2010, discharged 9/30/2010), and today (10/25/2011) was approved for a $2000 Platinum MC. 0% interest until 7/2012, 22% thereafter (which is better than anything else I've received post-BK).

Please feel free to contact me with any questions via MyFico PM. Thank you!

Starting Score 9/13/14: 570
Current Score 08/12/2021: 798
Goal Score 2021: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 15
john398
Senior Contributor

@IantoJones wrote:

I discharged ~$1500 of a $2000 CL in Ch. 7 (filed 6/30/2010, discharged 9/30/2010), and today (10/25/2010) was approved for a $2000 Platinum MC. 0% interest until 7/2012, 22% thereafter (which is better than anything else I've received post-BK).

Please feel free to contact me with any questions via MyFico PM. Thank you!

do you mean 2011?

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with checking the Cap One pre-approval site.

DH and I both included CapOne in CH 13 BK (where we paid them back), and we are both still blacklisted 6 1/2 years later.  It's definitely a YMMV type of thing.

I've lost my desire for a CapOne, so I don't much care anymore. 

OP, when Cap One rejected DH and I for cards post-BK, we both went with Orchard for rebuilding.  They have AF's but they are reasonable, they're super easy to manage online.  They are far superior to FP.   I like 'em a lot for rebuilding.  I kept my Orchard account open for a year - it opened the door for other no AF cards with higher CL's. 

Message 9 of 15
IantoJones
Valued Member

I do indeed mean 10/25/11 (re: the approval date, as highlighted). I have just corrected it above, and I thank you for calling this to my attention.

Maybe the discrepancy in blacklisted vs. not has something to do with Ch. 7 vs. Ch. 13? Or history with previous account (prior to BK) ?

I know that the offer arrived almost exactly a month after my 1-yr. anniversary of discharge, if that might have something to do with it.

All the best, to everyone in their rebuilding efforts.

Starting Score 9/13/14: 570
Current Score 08/12/2021: 798
Goal Score 2021: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.