cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take for inquiries to fall off of your reports???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long does it take for inquiries to fall off of your reports???

I know this question has been asked before, but I need to know the average time it takes for inquiries to fall off of the CR's. I have 13 and I know that this is affecting my scores and my ability to get CLI's and potentially new credit down the line. 
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: How long does it take for inquiries to fall off of your reports???

landocalrissian wrote:
I know this question has been asked before, but I need to know the average time it takes for inquiries to fall off of the CR's. I have 13 and I know that this is affecting my scores and my ability to get CLI's and potentially new credit down the line. 

There should be no average.  They remain for 2 years but only affect your score for 1 year.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 7
NowIcare
Regular Contributor

Its 2yrs to completely dissapear..........
but only the past yr counts toward your fico score.......
NO SIGNATURE FOR ME
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are talking hard pulls here??????
Message 4 of 7
NowIcare
Regular Contributor

landocalrissian wrote:
We are talking hard pulls here??????

Yup hard pulls
NO SIGNATURE FOR ME
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the intel.  Now I guess I might have to wait a year to apply for new credit.  Not a problem.  I am trying to manage the 7 cards that I have and develop a good credit history.  Dilute the bad credit with the good.
Message 6 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the intel. Now I guess I might have to wait a year to apply for new credit. Not a problem. I am trying to manage the 7 cards that I have and develop a good credit history. Dilute the bad credit with the good.

I've been told that the inq's carry the full damage for one year, and then *poof* zero damage, although they will display if someone pulls your report. What does start to fade: if your inq worked, and you got new credit from it, the hit from the newness starts to fade after 3 months, and then again at 6 months.

So if you read about inq's hurting less after 6 months, what's probably going on is that the CC that came from it had its 6-month birthday, and then was a score bump from that.

If this works for you, you might do a rolling calendar. Get familiar when things hit 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, 18 months, and 24 months. This includes inqs, new accounts, lates, all that good stuff. Sometimes you get little surprise score bumps just from something getting a little bit older.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.