cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take your score to recover from adding new credit cards?

tag
dharalex
Established Contributor

Re: How long does it take your score to recover from adding new credit cards?

What you have done for your BF is priceless! I hope he appreciates it! Credit repair is frustrating, confusing, and sometime difficult, but oh so rewarding. Great job!

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!  He does appreciate it very much.  I'm weird...I actually get a thrill out of doing this stuff.  He, on the other hand, can't stand it.  But luckily he is very good about going to work every day and earning money.  He makes the money and I manage it.  It works out pretty good.

Message 22 of 28
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

ambelicious wrote:

Thank you!  He does appreciate it very much.  I'm weird...I actually get a thrill out of doing this stuff.  He, on the other hand, can't stand it.  But luckily he is very good about going to work every day and earning money.  He makes the money and I manage it.  It works out pretty good.

ambeliicious, you seem to have logged in under a different username.

Did you have trouble getting in under your original username, or are you maybe logging in under a different accout? (easy to do)

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 23 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah, that was weird.  when i created my boyfriend's account, i used the name ashiggins to sign into the community.  then, i ended up opening my own fico account, with the name ambelicious.  i don't know how i ended up getting them crossed.  i was surprised when i saw that.

Message 24 of 28
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

It's very easy to do with spouses/ SO's/ parents-and-kids, etc.

btw, this is not a scold, but just pointing out: you have no legal right to access your BF's scores, via a myFICO account or any other manner. Same for married folks; doesn't matter: husbands can't pull wives' scores and vice versa.

The reality is that in many relationships, one person stays on top of financial/ credit matters, so it certainly does happen, but you should be aware of this, especially if you ever have to call customer service, etc. Smiley Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 25 of 28
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

So let's say DW sits next to me and is eating ice cream; one hand holds the bucket, the other the spoon. Log into my account, would you, she says. I cannot legally do that? But if that's fine, where exactly do you draw the line in the sand of consent?

Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

In reply to the person who said, "We're really supposed to congratulate someone for paying less child support?":

Child support matters are a lot more complicated than some people realize.  I thank God for the fact that the department of child support services finally starting cracking down on dead beat dads (and moms).  There was definitely a need for that.  However, you would not believe how overboard and unfair DCSS can be in some cases.  It has become a huge problem across the country.  They have tremendous power.  For one thing, it is extremely common for DCSS to make huge mistakes and charge a parent as much as 10's of thousands of dollars more than he/she owes.  Once the parent points out this mistake, they will often just ignore him and not do a thing about it unless that parent has the funds and know-how to legally force them to look at and correct their mistakes.  

The system of tracking down deadbeat dads/moms and making them pay their share was put in place with good intentions.  However, a system left unchecked can get way out of control, and it has.  The employees DCSS hires usually care less about the people they have been hired to serve.  They just show up, put in their time, and collect their paycheck.  Once an order is put into place, they don't question the validity of it.  Currently, DCSS could care less about being fair.  They are just relentless bill collectors.  In Rob's case, he has always worked very hard and done his best to pay his child support.  He has never been a deadbeat dad.  With his first daughter, after the divorce, he took care of her by himself because her mom abandoned her to go do meth.  She was gone the better part of a year, and the whole time, Rob tried to assure their daughter that her mom still loved her and to not take it personally.  After awhile, the mom came back into the daughter's life, and talked her into moving in with her.  Then she started poisoning her mind against her dad.  His daughter refused to visit him anymore.  The mom and her new boyfriend took Rob to court and sued him for child support, which he was already paying.  The court didn't take into account the child support that the mom should have paid the year that she had nothing to do with their daughter.  Nevertheless, Rob paid the child support each month.  Later on, he fell in love with another woman and they had twins.  When that relationship ended, this woman got a child support order against him too.  This child support order was based on the gross amount he was earning as a painter at that time.  It did not take into account his business expenses, after which, he was earning next to nothing.  He was ordered to pay an amount that was 75% of his net profit.  At the same time, the economy tanked.  This, along with the unfair child support amount, drove him out of business.   No longer able to keep up with the child support payments, DCSS took away his business licence.  Then they took away his driver's license.  For years, no amount of explaining on his part could get them to change their minds. Finally, they reduced the child support, after his credit was destroyed along with his means for earning a living.  All these years of falling behind, he was charged 10% interest on the arrears.  He didn't deserve any of this.  He absolutely deserved to pay child support, and he did.  However, the amount they charged him was way too much.  The amount he ended up paying both of the mothers as a lump sum settlement was more fair, and what I believe he actually owed.  So, I don't consider this "getting out of paying child support."  I consider it paying what he actually owed, rather than thousands of dollars that he couldn't possibly pay, no matter how hard he tried, along with interest charges that made it impossible for him to ever catch up.

Message 27 of 28
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I'm on my phone, and I can't quote my-own-fico.

If you will read what I wrote, I said that of course, spouses etc do this sort of thing.

I was giving a heads-up to a new member who might not be aware of some of the niceties involved with this.

You don't want to call FICO CS and say, "I was logging on to my boyfriend's account and so and so and such and such." this might result in access being blocked, as FICO has to be careful about fraud. So it's important to be aware of this.

Enjoy the ice cream.
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.