cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long for AMEX Costco decision applying online?

tag
rushx2112
New Contributor

How long for AMEX Costco decision applying online?

Those of you who applied online how long did the process take?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: How long for AMEX Costco decision applying online?

If the system is able to approve you instantly, then you will get a decision within a couple minutes.

Otherwise, it may require a manual review which can take around 10 business days.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 18
rushx2112
New Contributor

I've read that it takes longer if you apply online because they have to verify your Costco membership, is this not accurate?

Message 3 of 18
enharu
Super Contributor

I never had a true earnings card, so I'm not too sure about that.

The other threads I have read about problems regarding this card is that if Amex can't verify your membership, they will simply charge you AF for the card right away which you will then have to call in and have it waived by proving your membership. Not too sure if that's how it still works.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 18
dds2be
Valued Member

yes this is true, i work for costco, and process the TE amex applications all day. If you apply on the american website, usually you do not get an instant decision because they have to verify with costco that your membership is a currently active membership. If you apply in store, your membership is verified instantly, and if your credit profile fits then you can receive an instant approval and an immediate tempory card to use. 

Age 28
BOFA Cash Rewards:25k
Citi Premier :16.7k
Citi Costco Visa:19.2k
Amex SPG: 30k
Macy's: 20k
care credit :15k Express: 3.2k Dillards : 5k
Amex Platinum :NPSL
CSP: 15k
Chase Marriot: 25K
Chase Freedom 15k
Capital One Venture 30k

Fico Scores as of 10/2018: EX: 772, EQ: 782 TU: 778
Message 5 of 18
rushx2112
New Contributor

@dds2be wrote:

yes this is true, i work for costco, and process the TE amex applications all day. If you apply on the american website, usually you do not get an instant decision because they have to verify with costco that your membership is a currently active membership. If you apply in store, your membership is verified instantly, and if your credit profile fits then you can receive an instant approval and an immediate tempory card to use. 

Do you have any idea how long the process usually takes from app to approvale?

Message 6 of 18
dds2be
Valued Member

also if anyone is interested in some Costco TE information, just from what I've seen be approved, I've seen the lowest limit as 800 to as high as 35k. I've had people apply for it with as a little as 1 year of credit history and been approved. I've also had some people hesistant on applying, saying their scores are around 670 (can't really verify don't know if that is their fico or fako) with no recent baddies and be approved for around 1200. 10k-14k is pretty common approval I see with people with credit in the 700's and income about 90k. fyi this is just what i've personally processed, so results may vary. hope this helps anyone interested in applying. also, usually in store is better if you hold an executive membership at costco as currently amex credits $55 for consumer TE card after 250 spend in 90 days, and $75 for TE business card approval but only for executive members as well as 6mo no interest. 6 mo no interest is available on amex website application but the statement credit is an in store promo only.

Age 28
Chase Freedom 15k
Capital One Venture 30k

Message 7 of 18
dds2be
Valued Member

For in store, as soon as i click submit, i receive a response within 60 seconds. Sometimes addresses on file may not verify with what is on a person's credit report and I will receive a response with, instant decision not available please give member general amex # and application code for manual processing, or at times they will give a direct line for the person applying to call and then they push the approval instantly and i am able to print a temporary credit card.  For app'ing on amex website, i am not sure how quick they verify the info, but i've heard from others that come in to the store after they've applied saying it took about 4-7 days depending on if you app in the beggining of the week or end of the week. 

Age 28
Chase Freedom 15k
Capital One Venture 30k

Message 8 of 18
k-s
Regular Contributor

I apped online and got an instant approval. I did apply with a targeted mail offer though, so that could have been why.

EQ MyFICO: 719 - Discover It TU FICO: 749 - EX 728
Amex PRG: NPSL | Amex Blue Sky: 2k | Amex BCE: 10k | Amex TrueEarnings: 5k | Amex Delta Gold: 2k | Discover It: 4k | SFCU: 13k | Quicksilver: 4k | Venture: 10k | Freedom: 2k | CSP: 7.5k | Amazon Visa: 5k | Citi TYPremier: 6.3k | Best Buy: 4.5k | Macy's Amex: 6k | Nordstrom: 4k | Old Navy Visa: 4k | Target: $1.2k | Angel: 1k
Message 9 of 18
enharu
Super Contributor

fyi there's also a 12 month 0% interest offer.

https://www262.americanexpress.com/apply-card/personal-card/costco-trueearnings-credit-card/003/3590...

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.