cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long it will take for CITI cards to report to a bureau?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long it will take for CITI cards to report to a bureau?

Im considering app for a couple of new cards while my credit file is still thin. I have got a HP on EX on Dec 30 for a Citi offer and may get another HP from landlords since I am looking for housing. I wonder how soon the Citi card will be reported to a credit bureau agent? I want to app new cards before the citi card reports yet after my another EX INQ ages to 6 months (maybe this doesn't matter?). Thanks.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
KneelBeforeZod
Frequent Contributor

Re: How long it will take for CITI cards to report to a bureau?

My experience - Citi reports after your first statement. This might have changed, but that's what I remember when I got a card through them.
Current Scores (Dec 20, 2015) - EQ=719 EX=739 TU=740
Message 2 of 19
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

Mine reported after the first statement cut.

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's short! So, I should not activate the card to avoid the reporting? 

Message 4 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Not activating the card is not going to prevent from reporting. Regardless if there's a balance or not on your new Citi card, it's still going to report when it cycles.
Message 5 of 19
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

The other creditors should see the INQ from Citi if they pull from the same CB. So if they see this and no new card, they might think that you have been declined? Not sure if that's a good strategy...

On the other hand, after you app you have about a couple of weeks before the statement cuts. If your strategy is to app all at the same time and take a big hit to your credit score, then recover from it (and as long as you have no plans of applying for something major in the next 6 months), then by all means, go for it Smiley Tongue

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 6 of 19
KneelBeforeZod
Frequent Contributor

All that activating th card does is get it working to use for purchases. Once the first statement cuts, it'll report.

I wouldn't worry about a hard pull from a landlord. If they ask questions, tell them it was to take advantage of an offer you couldn't pass up and your report, while thin, should show you're dependable and that you've got to build credit somehow since many landlords do not report monthly payments.
Current Scores (Dec 20, 2015) - EQ=719 EX=739 TU=740
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@aubie1kenobie2 wrote:

The other creditors should see the INQ from Citi if they pull from the same CB. So if they see this and no new card, they might think that you have been declined? Not sure if that's a good strategy...

On the other hand, after you app you have about a couple of weeks before the statement cuts. If your strategy is to app all at the same time and take a big hit to your credit score, then recover from it (and as long as you have no plans of applying for something major in the next 6 months), then by all means, go for it Smiley Tongue

Maybe I should take the second strategy you pointed out: just go for it now. 

You guys really opens my eyes on the fact of card reporting. I will just ativate my citi card to see what is the statement date right in a minute...

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

OMG, on my CITI credit card account page which I just activated shows :

"Minimum Amount Due on 01-13-2016 : $0"

So, decision, decision! Magic forum!

Message 9 of 19
satasat360
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's short! So, I should not activate the card to avoid the reporting? 

+1 to Finstar, mine reported even before i received my card. So not activating may not help here.

Starting Score: 669
Current Score: 777
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.