cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long of a credit history does AMEX want?

tag
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: How long of a credit history does AMEX want?

@Anonymous wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:
My history is only 2 yrs old, and CCs only 1 yr. I had 2 secured installment loans prior to the CCs. no baddies.

I'd really like Amex Costco and / or BCE-BCP. I'd be willing to start with a zync, but don't want to waste an inq if I wouldn't even qualify for that.

I'm wondering what they require or what is the shortest history where someone has been approve.

The backdating from Amex would do wonders for my FICO. Smiley Happy

why not apply for the Zync and BCP the same day? you will more than likely end up with 1 INQ for both

if you apply for both do the revolver first, if you get the revolver its easier to get the charge later,  than the reverse. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 11 of 49
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:
My history is only 2 yrs old, and CCs only 1 yr. I had 2 secured installment loans prior to the CCs. no baddies.

I'd really like Amex Costco and / or BCE-BCP. I'd be willing to start with a zync, but don't want to waste an inq if I wouldn't even qualify for that.

I'm wondering what they require or what is the shortest history where someone has been approve.

The backdating from Amex would do wonders for my FICO. Smiley Happy

why not apply for the Zync and BCP the same day? you will more than likely end up with 1 INQ for both

if you apply for both do the revolver first, if you get the revolver its easier to get the charge later,  than the reverse. 

I think Bichon would be good initially for a charge card. Not saying they wouldn't approve for a revolver but would be easier to get a charge card.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 12 of 49
CS800
Super Contributor

TRue, get a charge card first and build a 6 months history with them then get a revolver.

Message 13 of 49
quest208
Frequent Contributor

Whatever you decide bichonmom im rootin for. When they approve you put in a good word for me.

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 14 of 49
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@quest208 wrote:
Whatever you decide bichonmom im rootin for. When they approve you put in a good word for me.

+1

me too!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 15 of 49
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

I was approved for the Zync in December. My history included at the time:

• Bank of America (8/2002) - late payments in 2008, closed 
  • Orchard (8/2010)
  • Banana Republic (3/2011) - closed 
  • Capital One (9/2011) 
  • Banana Republic Visa (10/2011) 

My Fico was 685/690-ish at the time, and my reported utilization was around 25% I think. I also reported significant assets (they ask in the application).

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 16 of 49
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

I applied for and was approved for my Clear with about 2 year history. It was my first Amex card. I'm not sure what my scores were at the time.

EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Message 17 of 49
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

I would say your history is just fine for AMEX. Have you tried their pre-qualifier??

I tried, but couldn't get any info since I'm opted out. Smiley Sad

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 18 of 49
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@quest208 wrote:

+1

me too!!!

Smiley Wink wish I could. 

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 19 of 49
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

I thought it was better to app for a charge first, since they're easier to be approved? confused Smiley Indifferent

Message 20 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.