cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long of a wait to apply for Citi DC?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long of a wait to apply for Citi DC?!

bobisnotmyname wrote:

Near LA Ex. Near San Diego EQ

Yep another EX...

Message 11 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you ever carry a balance? If not, get the DC now. 2% now means 0.5% more cash back starting now instead of later. While having the best APR is nice, it generally does not matter on a rewards card. On the very rare occasions I have carried a balance it was always on my low APR CU card or would be on a 0% intro card. I understand the need to have best APR rates, but you will likely get it (or close to it) with an 800 range score and 1 inquiry (or even more). Don't ever get a rewards card with the plan of carrying a balance beyond an intro period since they all have higher APRs (like 12.99% low end for most prime rewards cards while many CU cards are in the 7.99-9.99 range for low end)

I understand the need for perfection and 0.5% is really not that much. I sometimes overfocus on rewards over other aspects of the card, so if you feel differently, delaying is fine too Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aw, you let your balance post before paying. You better have low utilization and 750+ fico score.
Message 13 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never paid interest and don't plan too. But in case of an emergency that I might have to carry a balance is why I care for rate.

I'm a "what if", "should've" person 

Message 14 of 34
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

I'd give it a shot if I was you. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't give you 12.99% APR and a nice limit. The "wait 6 months" rule applies more to people who go on APP sprees and don't have a long history/are rebuilding
TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 15 of 34
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

But you can always wait if you would like to be absolutely certain that you get the best terms. You'll lose that 0.5% cash back for a few months, but you will lock in those best terms which will be more beneficial in the long run.
TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 16 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Double cash is not a balance carrying card after the introductory period. You need a credit union card for their low Apr. That should be your if, when card.

mashimoro -> me
If i had strong profile, i would open share account with penfed. Call CSR and open a checking account and apply for their credit card. Their promise card is no bs fee card. With 1 HP on eq, I get 3 account.

If I had 740+ fico. I would open an account with Western FCU and app for cc and PLOC. HP ex.

These cards would be my if when sh&t hits the fan card.

Double cash, I would app after I got a credit union card.
Message 17 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a what if guy myself. This is my strategy.

When sh&t hits the fan.
1. Stop all activity on prime card.
2. Close amex and pay in full (can't risk backdating benefit)
3. Use credit union cc and ploc for short term emergency. Live off of unemployment check.
4. Withdrawal from rewards checking account (one years worth of living expense)
5. Withdrawal from CD (3 years additional living expense)
6. Withdrawal from retirement account and collect cans.
Message 18 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I never paid interest and don't plan too. But in case of an emergency that I might have to carry a balance is why I care for rate.

I'm a "what if", "should've" person 

Mashimaro, apply citi double cash and report back here Smiley Happy

--

First you need to wait to see if you get the welcome package with the last 4 digits of your card number. From there call this # (800)347-4934 and make sure you enter the last 4 digits of your card. You will reach a CSR who will ask for the amount of limit you would request and if you want to be transferred to a credit analyst for an instant decision. After you state your income, and the legal mumbo jumbo you are transferred to the credit analyst who will review with you whether you are approved or denied. I was instantly approved for $10,000, denied for $15,000 for my 2nd recon, and settled with $12,000 for my final one.

--

then email them ...

''I noticed after I was approved for the Citi Double Cash card, an offer was made available to get $200 after you spend $1000 in 90 days. Is there any chance I could be enrolled in this offer? Thanks!''

---

email them again...

''There was a mailer that was sent out indicating that I could receive $200 for $1000 spent in 90 days. I would like to be enrolled in this promotion. Thanks!

Hopefully this helps everyone!''

Message 19 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for tuning in. All your advice(s) are well taken. 

I only like the cash back cards. I rarely travel and dine for points. I have grocery and gas covered. I mostly make a lot of reg purchases of 1%; which is why I'm so interested in the citi DC 

I never understood the true meaning of waiting 6 months to apply.

Does it sorda die in that time or is it just an opinionated thought that the cc company will not consider that "too many accounts open in a short period of time"?

Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.