cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long of a wait to ask for APR decrease??

tag
scorpio_queen02
Valued Member

How long of a wait to ask for APR decrease??

I am recovering from a recent app spree and made a spreadsheet to keep track of all of my cards and balances, etc. I noticed I have very high APRs. Even on the cards that have 0% APR introductory period, after that period ends, the APR is still really high. They are ALL (listed in my sig) are in the 20+% range. Has anyone had any success calling in to have these percentages reduced? How long should one normally wait before they call and ask for that? Also, does that result in any inquiries? Thanks all!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How long of a wait to ask for APR decrease??

Discover it - after 12 months, if elegible

Barclayscard - after 12 months (no guarantee)

Bank of America Americard - after 12 months, if elegible

Capital One Platinum Card - if this is a credit steps program, likely none (they'll more or less provide a temporary APR reduction)

Capital One Rewards Card - same as above

J. Crew - Comenity, none available per your T&C

Ann Taylor - same as above

Express - same as above

Limited - same as above

Gap - GECRB, none available per your T&C

Carecredit - same as above

Message 2 of 5
scorpio_queen02
Valued Member

Wow, thanks! I will definitely limit my charges on those store cards! The Capital One cards are part of the credit steps program. One of the Cap1 accounts I have had for over a year, but I just did a balance transfer to a 0% card. That APR was adding up.

Message 3 of 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@scorpio_queen02 wrote:

Wow, thanks! I will definitely limit my charges on those store cards! The Capital One cards are part of the credit steps program. One of the Cap1 accounts I have had for over a year, but I just did a balance transfer to a 0% card. That APR was adding up.

You can use your cards, just dont carry a balance so the high aprs wouldn't be a problem. 

Message 4 of 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

@scorpio_queen02 wrote:

You can use your cards, just dont carry a balance so the high aprs wouldn't be a problem. 

+1

Just PIF or treat them as if they were your Debit card.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.