cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long should I wait before applying for 2nd credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long should I wait before applying for 2nd credit card?

I'm a 23 y/o recent college graduate who is looking to improve my credit. I have a federal student loan that I am have been repaying for 7 months and I paid cash for pretty much everything in college, and my only credit card was a store credit card from JCPenney (No late payments ever). Several days ago I applied for a Citi Forward credit card and was approved with a $6k credit limit, however after the introductory period of 0% APR, it's going to jump to the max of 22.9% APR.  In hindsight, I realize that I should have applied for a credit card through my bank (BofA), since I have had an account with them since I was 18.  How long should I wait to apply for another credit card without hurting my score?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: How long should I wait before applying for 2nd credit card?

Congrats on the CL.

Take it from one of many who were young and given that first huge CL (mine was 5k @ 18); treat it with respect, or expect to be a member here 15 + years from now.

I'd like to see you flaunting your Palladium or w/e 10-15 years from now, because of how responsible you chose (unlike some of us) to be with your credit.

Good luck!

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Long-term: ignore the short-term FICO damage from a new card and go open it ASAP.

You want the negatives associated with new tradelines aging as quickly as possible, and if you decide you want another tradeline (and can be approved, which with what you posted you undoubtedly can), go ahead and get it now.  Payment history counts, and more time will do nothing but improve your score if you take the hit for it now... rather than taking the hit for a new account later.  It may effectively be minimal anyway since the difference between 1 and 2 inquiries is insignificant to non-existant from what others have reported.

Most of any short-term damage will be healed in six months, and virtually all at the year mark, then it's nothing but positive having that second major bank card, and you're probably better getting another before the current one reports given that some may suggest you wait 3-6 months, but that doesn't apply when you have a limited credit history (small number of tradelines in your case).

Welcome to the forums too Smiley Happy

        
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the replies.  I should also add: I plan on purchasing a new car within the next 6-12 months, so I'm unsure if applying for a 2nd credit card is advisable to do.

Message 4 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the replies.  I should also add: I plan on purchasing a new car within the next 6-12 months, so I'm unsure if applying for a 2nd credit card is advisable to do.

Yes get a 2nd and also a 3rd credit card and then don't apply until new car... 6 months you should not have an issue with the new accounts.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.