Regular Contributor
RachelRachel

How long should I wait to apply for a CC from credit union?

Hello.  I enrolled in a new credit union last month mostly because I needed to cash some savings bonds and my other smaller credit union couldn't do it.

But, now that I am a member, I am thinking I should try to get a credit card with them.  I have a mastercard $1,000 limit with my other credit union, an Applied Bank Visa with $500 limit, and a Chase (formerly WaMu) flexible rewards Visa with $2,500 limit.  Since Chase started doing their purges, I am just waiting for the guillitine to strike so I feel like I need additional credit since Chase is my highest limit card.  And, I figure my chances are better before Chase cuts me, right?  (or maybe it won't matter??)

What do you all think?  Should I apply now or wait? 

Thanks!

~Rachel

FICO EQ 649 7/21/09

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

Re: How long should I wait to apply for a CC from credit union?

What shape are your reports in?

What's your reported CC util?

Any chance you can increase your EQ by reducing util and/or waiting for some accounts or baddies to have birthdays? (one year old, two years old, etc.)

Since you already have a relationship with the CU, you might try printing out that FICO EQ score report in your siggy and showing it to the CU loan officer. Tell him/ her that it's a Beacon 5.0 report, consumer version, with the same stuff on it as what they pull, just a bit shorter, and ask if that type of report and FICO score would qualify you for a card. This might save you an inq for a denial.

Did they pull a report with a hard inq for your banking? If so, do you know if they would use that same report again for a CC app?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Regular Contributor
RachelRachel

haulingthescoreup, thank you so very much.  Excellent advice about printing out the report and checking in advance so that I don't get an inquiry. 

I have a lot to do to improve my scores.  I had a Ch 7 bankruptcy discharged in 3/2005.  No collections.  1 CO and a lot of lates back in 2004/2005.  I haven't had any lates in 4 and half years since the bankruptcy.  My main problem is utilization, especially with the Chase card, I haven't calculated it but I think my utilization was around 85% or something bad like that for chase and then around 70% for the credit union MC and 20% for the Applied Visa.  So, that is my main goal since coming to these forums and learning from you all.  This forum is so great! I wish I had found it years ago as I'm sure I would have learned how to avoid filing for bankruptcy.

Anyway, I will check with the credit union and continue to work on bringing down utilization.

Thanks much!

~Rachel

EQ FICO 649 7/21/09

Established Contributor
happy0510

I'm not sure if this helps, but I went to inquire at my local CU and they told me no matter what they will pull my reportThe girl said they will offer me a CC right as I joinDoes that sound weird? I thought so.

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 691
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
smallfry

You need to get the utilization down on that Chase card. I wouldn't be surprised if they balance chase you as that is really high utilization for Chase to see on a Wamu card.
Regular Contributor
RachelRachel

smallfry, thanks, that is my #1 goal right now, to reduce the balance on the Chase card. I also plan to apply for my rewards before they cancel me too because I read that someone had a lot of points when they were cancelled and they weren't able to cash in the points after the cancellation.  I have over 7,000 point which should get me a $50 gift card somewhere and maybe a couple $10 ones somewhere. 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+