Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long should I wait to apply for another AMEX

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long should I wait to apply for another AMEX

In November I received a "pre-selected" invitation for the AMEX Rewards Green Card.  I app'ed and received it.  In December I received a "pre-selected" invitation for the AMEX Rewards Gold Card.  So I called in and asked if I could use the RSVP and invitation to upgrade existing account, which they did.  

So, I have an AMEX Rewards Gold Card now.  My member since date is 1999.  This is my only AMEX account.

I have three Visa & MC accounts that are 4 years old, and I have acquired in 2009 NFCU Visa, Home Depot, JCPenney, Kay's.

I would like to get another AMEX card to help my AAoA.  How long should I wait till I apply?  I would like a no AF card, so when I do app should I go for the Costco or BlueCash?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long should I wait to apply for another AMEX

I don't have tons of AMEX experience, at least not any time recently.

But, I would suggest that you allow all accounts, including AMEX to age at least 6 months and have low utilization before app'ing for another.

I don't know which card would be most likely, or if either has better odds of approval.  Are you a member of Costco?  I think you have to be member to app, so you might want to think about joining them if you are serious about that card.

Good luck and let us know.

ANYONE ELSE have any incite on this?

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks tx!

Yeah, I know aging is best.  So you think at least 6 months?  Most of my accounts, except AMEX are now at 6 months or close to it.  In another 3 months, AMEX (newest account) will be 6 and all the others 8 to 12 or more.

Anyone have experience on which card to go for first:  COSTCO or BLUECASH?

Current Line Up:

BoA $10k, 4 years old, $0 bal

Chase $1k, 4 years old, closed, paid as agreed, $0 bal

Cap One, $1k, 4 years old, $0 bal

Chevron/GEMB, 4 years old, $0 bal

Home Depot/Citi, $4k, 2 months, $0 bal

JCPenney/GEMB, $1.5k, 5 months, $400 bal

Kays, $300, 6 months, $0 bal

Firestone, $1.6k, 6 months, $0 bal

AMEX Gold, ~$2.5k, open 3 months (but 99 member since date), PIF

I'd like to get 1 more AMEX since my AMEX date is 1999 to help AAoA on these new accounts, plus even help my other accounts at 4 years.

I'd like a no AF card.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think what you have already is good enough to sit on... unless you desperately need new credit.  I would wait until 2011 to do anything.

Message 4 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would say apply, people use to apply for a charge card and credit card in same day because it would use just 1 inq, you have a couple months under your belt, go for it.
Message 5 of 15
manyquestions
Established Contributor

I'd go ahead and get the Costco now.  With amex I have applied for two in one day so I only get one pull on EX.  I got a charge and a credit card (gold, blue), then waited 4 months and got two more credit cards with them (costco, starwood).  Of course YMMV.  If you only have one card and it is a charge card I can't see them turning you down based on "too recent of an amex card" they might turn you down for something else of course.  They might just not want to give you a costco.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the Costco or BlueCash any easier to get, or equal?

I mean, is there any particular "next" card recommended for another AMEX that uses my existing member since date (99) but is a no AF card?

I don't have a Costco membership.  Do I need to join before applying?

Thanks!

Message 7 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

yes you have to have costco membership to apply i believe and lots of people reported that they felt cl was based on how much you spent in costco
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

If CL is attached to past spending, then going out and joining new member just to app would be a little pointless, wouldn't it?

So maybe I should put my sights on the BlueCash.  I don't shop Costco, so it's value for Costco purchases would be very limited, it would cost me a Costco AF for membership.

Smiley Indifferent

Message 9 of 15
manyquestions
Established Contributor

If you don't already belong to costco I would get a regular Blue.  Unless you plan to run like $30,000 through the Blue cash the rewards would probably be better with the regular Blue membership points.  So if you just want to apply for anAMEX credit card that does not have an annual fee  I would app for the regular Blue.  I think it's the easiest non-fee card although I think Blue Sky is about the same.  The easiest AMEX credit card is the Delta Gold which has an annual fee but they waive it the first year.  I believe you can convert the Delta Gold to a Blue after you get it.  At least people used to do that.  They would app for the Blue, if they got denied, app for the Delta, get approved, then product change the Delta for a Blue.  I don't know if they still let you do that.  But a year or more ago that was pretty popular.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.