Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long should I wait to apply for another AMEX

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long should I wait to apply for another AMEX

@manyquestions wrote:
If you don't already belong to costco I would get a regular Blue.  Unless you plan to run like $30,000 through the Blue cash the rewards would probably be better with the regular Blue membership points.  So if you just want to apply for anAMEX credit card that does not have an annual fee  I would app for the regular Blue.  I think it's the easiest non-fee card although I think Blue Sky is about the same.  The easiest AMEX credit card is the Delta Gold which has an annual fee but they waive it the first year.  I believe you can convert the Delta Gold to a Blue after you get it.  At least people used to do that.  They would app for the Blue, if they got denied, app for the Delta, get approved, then product change the Delta for a Blue.  I don't know if they still let you do that.  But a year or more ago that was pretty popular.

-  Does the Delta Gold report your "member since date" of AMEX?  Does the Blue report member since as well?

-  I currently have utilization below 15% on all cards, except NFCU which is 85%.  I am going to PIF next week and my statement will close and update that.  I am assuming it best to WAIT till it is reported at $0 balance before app'ing another AMEX?

-  Does issuing AU cards on an existing AMEX account have any impact on how AMEX looks at you credit wise?

Message 11 of 15
cdtotten
Established Contributor

All AMEX products will have the member since date.

You might as well have your credit look as shiny as possible. PIF the balance and let it report before apping.

AUs will have 0 influence on anything. 

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 15
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Right now your AAoA is about 38 mo.  Adding another AMEX account will bump your AAoA to about 48 mo, not bad.  But what are you really  trying to achieve other than just boosting your aging basis?  You have 5 accounts that have been opened within the last six months.  I'd wait a bit before apping for another AMEX card.
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Watchmann wrote:
Right now your AAoA is about 38 mo.  Adding another AMEX account will bump your AAoA to about 48 mo, not bad.  But what are you really  trying to achieve other than just boosting your aging basis?  You have 5 accounts that have been opened within the last six months.  I'd wait a bit before apping for another AMEX card.

Basically, you hit the nail on the head.

I want to increase AAoA.

And I want to allow the account to age for the next year (internal age to AMEX) so that if I decide to do other things 1-2 years from now everything is aged somewhat and all my inquiries will be dropped or old enough to not count against FICO.

By bumping AAoA over 4 years and then letting all my accounts age over a year from now, I am just looking at my credit/FICO result in 12-18 months from now, not so much what my immediate result will be (other than the increased AAoA).

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds reasonable.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.