cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long should you wait for CLI between Barclay Ring accounts?

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

How long should you wait for CLI between Barclay Ring accounts?

Was just wondering if any forum members had any advice please, on how long a person should wait for CLI between Barclay Ring accounts? 

A brief history of my Barclay Ring card:

(1) Approved in 2013 for a $500 SL.

(2) Requested CLI to $1000 in 2014 -- approved.

(3) Requested a CLI to $1500 later in 2014 -- denied.

(4) Requested a CLI to $1500 in early 2015 -- approved.

(5) Requested a CLI to $2000 in late 2015 -- denied, but Barclay later approved a CLI to $1900 upon recon.

Ideally, I would be very happy if my next CLI request could be approved rather than declined, so I was curious if anyone has any tips as to how long I should wait until requesting a CLI, so as to increase the chances of success?  My total revolving util on my open cards is ~30%, although this should be going down a little soon also, now that I have been approved for ~$18k in new credit recently, between new card approvals and CLI on other existing cards.  (Not planning to add new debt btw, just to BT and pay off existing debt with the new credit lines obtained.)

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long should you wait for CLI between Barclay Ring accounts?

Don't know the answer, but you do realize you're taking a hard pull with each request?

Message 2 of 8
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't know the answer, but you do realize you're taking a hard pull with each request?

Yes -- hence the question  Smiley Happy  I know that some forum posters were able to achieve success with a SP combined with an APR reduction from Barclay, but since the Ring has a universal 8% V APR for pretty much all cardholders, I figured a SP CLI request option on the Ring wasn't really in the cards.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@galahad15 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes -- hence the question  Smiley Happy  I know that some forum posters were able to achieve success with a SP combined with an APR reduction from Barclay, but since the Ring has a universal 8% V APR for pretty much all cardholders, I figured a SP CLI request option on the Ring wasn't really in the cards.

That's a great point about the apr request and the SP being hamstringed by the ring.  I wonder if it is possible to pretend to be ignorant, and try the apr request anyhow, with hopes that the CSR will eventually be telling you they see you are qualified for a SP CLI?  

Message 4 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

It's interesting to note OP that for each CLI request, albeit HP, only very nominal amounts ($500) are being approved. What's holding your profile or growth? I would say wait for about 8-12 months and lower your utilization as a whole and there may be more growth versus each HP yielding $500.

But, then again, maybe you're ok with this growth Smiley Wink
Message 5 of 8
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
It's interesting to note OP that for each CLI request, albeit HP, only very nominal amounts ($500) are being approved. What's holding your profile or growth? I would say wait for about 8-12 months and lower your utilization as a whole and there may be more growth versus each HP yielding $500.

I understand from reading on the forum that Barclay is a conservative lender and doesn't like heavy revolving utilization, so I am OK with that, tbh I was just glad to be able to get my foot in the door with them, even with the initial $500 SL.  My goal was to try to build up the CL with them gradually over time.  For me, the benefits of the card mostly outweigh the smaller CLI amounts that are being approved.  Also thank you for the suggestion about lowering util.  My current objective in that regard is to BT higher-interest debt to the new promotional 0% cards and pay off as much of the debt ASAP, without incurring new debt.

Message 6 of 8
ddemari
Super Contributor

Barclays is weird in these ways, they approve me one year for multiple cards, give me some Hard pull CLI's, then its dead for a year. Then the clock resets the next year and they approve me for something. I never see auto CLI's with them. But, I have 4 cards with them and they say Im good with the amount of credit I have with them, which is true lol. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

I havent been around here as long as some, so is it possible that income or something is a factor and the OP isn't necessarily doing something wrong as some seem to posit?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.