cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to safely sock drawer cards?

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: How long to safely sock drawer cards?

@RM21 wrote:
I think this is a YMMV type answer, but from what I read on here it seems that if you go 6 months without use that may be pushing it with some companies.

You probably could go a year . But im gonna agree with this 100%. safely with no issues across the board. 6 months.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a couple secured cards and a couple unsecured cards.  

Secured:

US Bank,

Capital Bank

Unsecured:

Credit one

2 capital one Quicksilvers

The Capital one cards are the only cards I use anymore and after I hit my first CLI I plan on putting them away and not using them unless for rainy day.  

How long can one place cards in a "sock drawer" and not use them before you run the risk of the company canceling your cards due to inactivity?  Should I rotate each month a small purchase on a card to keep them in a 5 month rotation?  That will keep a small UT on my cards every month too.

The answers given are fine in GENERAL but as for this profile it seems you're in a rebuild stage

2 secured cards... a Cred-1...and 2 QS's

Based upon that I wouldn't be overly concrened about 'spreadsheets' and such b/c you'll close those bottom tier vehicles before this is even an issue.

Folks with multiple cards and concerns about this reward and that bonus are more likely to use spreadsheets and charts and graphs and crap....

you have builder cards that YOU are going to out grow and NOT NEED very quickly, so who gives a snap if you choke out

Cap Bank and I guarantee you somebody is already screaming to CANCEL Credit one, right now

Your credit profile will grow quite nicely, not knowing how recent X accounts vs others but w/o fail...I can't see how one would NEED to be worried about

Cap-bank or Credit one ....Cap-1 and US Bank are all that you need anyway

A little bubble gum and candy from now and then and get that US Bank unsecured and you're fine...pay for Netflix or a regular monthly 'anyway' bill, like a utility or something and kill those bottom feeder cards before the fees get you anyway.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The answers given are fine in GENERAL but as for this profile it seems you're in a rebuild stage

2 secured cards... a Cred-1...and 2 QS's

Based upon that I wouldn't be overly concrened about 'spreadsheets' and such b/c you'll close those bottom tier vehicles before this is even an issue.

Folks with multiple cards and concerns about this reward and that bonus are more likely to use spreadsheets and charts and graphs and crap....

you have builder cards that YOU are going to out grow and NOT NEED very quickly, so who gives a snap if you choke out

Cap Bank and I guarantee you somebody is already screaming to CANCEL Credit one, right now

Your credit profile will grow quite nicely, not knowing how recent X accounts vs others but w/o fail...I can't see how one would NEED to be worried about

Cap-bank or Credit one ....Cap-1 and US Bank are all that you need anyway

A little bubble gum and candy from now and then and get that US Bank unsecured and you're fine...pay for Netflix or a regular monthly 'anyway' bill, like a utility or something and kill those bottom feeder cards before the fees get you anyway.

Ive read alot of hate on Credit One.  I will close the card when I am able.  US bank told me 6 months and they will review if I can graduate but usually its 12 months to get an unsecured card.  My capital bank one will be cancelled whenever I get my CLI on my Capital One cards and I will use the deposit I had on that card to get a Discover Secured card and start building a good rep with them.

I have netflix on one card, Hulu on another, verizon prepaid on another, xbox live on another.   I was just curious if it would make more sense to put all of these on one card and not use the others.  But, if I set up auto pay and leave it the way it is, I can hide them and not have any issues anyway.  Thank You

Message 13 of 15
Chris679
Established Contributor

Personally I won't use a card more than once every 12 months just to keep it active. I've had one card close due to inactivity at 24 months.
Message 14 of 15
PointLager
Established Contributor

I'm at three years for my BofA travel card.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.