Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to wait before CLI inquiry?

tag
CreditScoreBlueprint
New Contributor

How long to wait before CLI inquiry?

After 8 months with my Navy Federal card ($8,000 limit), I logged in online and asked for a $15,000 limit via the automated system. It instantly approved me for $12,500 and asked me if I wanted to accept or continue with a manual approval for the $15,000. I accepted the automatic $12,500. Eventually I'd like to get $20,000 on all my cards.

How long should I wait before asking for another CLI? I imagine the 1 year mark would be too soon?

Additionally, has anyone ever been instantly approved for a higher limit than their request through NFCU? I'm wondering because I wonder if I should be requesting $30,000 from here out just to be sure I'm requesting a high enough limit. For example, if I was approved for $20,000, but only requested $15,000... would I even know that I was approved for the $20,000?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: How long to wait before CLI inquiry?

If I'm asked how much an increase I would like I always ask for double current line.  A lot of systems are starting to instant counter or like CareCredit the automated said if I okay a HP they might be able to go higher.

Message 2 of 6
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

I'd wait for a minimum of 1.5 years (including the original 8 months). To be safe, the 2 year mark might be better.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd wait atleast another 8 months, probably 10 or 12.

Message 4 of 6
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@JABacchetta wrote:

After 8 months with my Navy Federal card ($8,000 limit), I logged in online and asked for a $15,000 limit via the automated system. It instantly approved me for $12,500 and asked me if I wanted to accept or continue with a manual approval for the $15,000. I accepted the automatic $12,500. Eventually I'd like to get $20,000 on all my cards.

How long should I wait before asking for another CLI? I imagine the 1 year mark would be too soon?

Additionally, has anyone ever been instantly approved for a higher limit than their request through NFCU? I'm wondering because I wonder if I should be requesting $30,000 from here out just to be sure I'm requesting a high enough limit. For example, if I was approved for $20,000, but only requested $15,000... would I even know that I was approved for the $20,000?

Congrats on the CLI! I'd wait 6 mos before another CLI. I've also read here that many people have gotten auto-CLIs at the 12-month mark.

I think the amount you ask for should be what you want; though I don't believe they will give you more than that. So, if you want $30, then ask for $30. But if you really only want $25, then ask for $25. If you ask for $20 and you could be approved for $25, they're not going to give you more than the $20 you asked for. I try to ask for what I think is reasonable given my CR, history with the CC, my current FICO, and my current CL.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 6
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

+1 to the above. I got auto CLI's at 12 months and 18 months both. Never requested a CLI through the website for the CC. I did request a CLI for NAVCHEk as it is a line of credit and does not auto CLI. I asked to go from $5K to $15K. Instant (well 3 hours) approval but I had the account open over 2 years at that time and I have Direct Deposit with NFCU.

There has been some speculation on here before that direct deposit and using them as your primary checking MAY lead to more generous credit decisions. I'm guessing part of it is because of the ability to offset if there was delinquencies.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.