cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to wait for another GE account??

tag
scarzy
Regular Contributor

How long to wait for another GE account??

Okay, I had 2 approvals for Paypal's smart connect and Walmart's store card yesterday. My TU's has 6 inqs....all from this year.

My last card opened is a siggy card from NFCU 2 months ago.

The only 3 cards I want from GE are Amazon's store, Old Navy and Sam's club. How long do I have to wait before my next mini spree??

I will apply in that order. I know my AAoA is taking a hit, but I'm rebuilding so it's not a biggy with me.

So, try for Amazon's next month, and the latter two consecutives months after that?? Or wait 3-6 months until my next GE card??

starting EQ FICO : 526 current EQ FICO : 640 starting TU FICO: 538 current TU FICO : 656

My wallet: Capital One cash rewards $1,300- ~ NFCU signature cash rewards $5,000- ~ NFCU nRewards $5,000- ~ NFCU LOC $1,000- ~ Target $200- ~ Kohl's $300- ~ Walmart $800- ~ Amazon $900- ~ Updated 6/2013

Discharged Ch7 Nov.16, 2012

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: How long to wait for another GE account??

Congrats on our recent approvals! Are the cc's in your siggy since your bk was discharged?
Message 2 of 8
scarzy
Regular Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Congrats on our recent approvals! Are the cc's in your siggy since your bk was discharged?

Yes, additions to those, there are like 4-6 more cards that are not listed in my siggy....4 store cards and 2 mc/ visa. Utilization is around 21%.

starting EQ FICO : 526 current EQ FICO : 640 starting TU FICO: 538 current TU FICO : 656

My wallet: Capital One cash rewards $1,300- ~ NFCU signature cash rewards $5,000- ~ NFCU nRewards $5,000- ~ NFCU LOC $1,000- ~ Target $200- ~ Kohl's $300- ~ Walmart $800- ~ Amazon $900- ~ Updated 6/2013

Discharged Ch7 Nov.16, 2012

Message 3 of 8
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the GE closing two many new accounts is from opening many within a span of a week or so, so if you wanted to span your accounts out over a couple months like you seem to be planning, then you should be fine. Obviously, the older the inqs, the better your approval chances can be, but as far as AA from GE, you should be fine with your plan I would think.

Though someone should conffirm this. I don't have interest in store cards. (Mostly cause I don't think I shop at one place enough to make use of perks they may give.)

Edit: Wow. I totally didn't pay attention to your sig. In that case, I agree with Lexie below me and stress you consider what she said but(since this is ultimately your choice), if you really feel you need the cards, I'd say wait 6 months now at minimum.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 4 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Sorry, I don't mean to sound harsh or pretending to know your situation but that many cc's opened and thinking about adding more (in less than 12 mos from your bk) sounds a like a recipe for disaster. Your util is far too high and sounds like you are asking to get into more debt. After a bk, you do need to rebuild - a good solid base of cc's, show creditors that you can manage debt again. You only need 4-5 cc's to do that ESP in such a short time frame. I'm just afraid you'll be stuck in toy limits far longer than necessary if you would app less and cultivate more. NFCU is great and their cc's will grow with you - as will GE that will help with you util but only if you are not adding to your debt.

Again, not trying to be judgmental just thinking you need to slow down.

I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions. Good luck to you.
Message 5 of 8
I-got-it-finally
New Contributor

Yes I have read that they will close accounts if they are done too close together. I have several GE cards that I applied for over a period of time. Unlike the OP I had no plan-- but what  the OP proposes sounds excellent. Better safe than sorry.

@b_seeker wrote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the GE closing two many new accounts is from opening many within a span of a week or so, so if you wanted to span your accounts out over a couple months like you seem to be planning, then you should be fine. Obviously, the older the inqs, the better your approval chances can be, but as far as AA from GE, you should be fine with your plan I would think.

Though someone should conffirm this. I don't have interest in store cards. (Mostly cause I don't think I shop at one place enough to make use of perks they may give.)

Working everyday... to be better and wiser.
Goal: 710-750

Message 6 of 8
I-got-it-finally
New Contributor

Oops... let me add that I'm no expert... so after reading what 09Lexie said-- thats something to think about... just as I said before, better safe than sorrySmiley Surprised

Working everyday... to be better and wiser.
Goal: 710-750

Message 7 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

I would also cool it for awhile GE is getting very funny recently about opening account quickly and constantly asking for CLI's. every month or two

09Lexie gave you solid advice.

I'll add to that IMO you should wait 6 months then apply for the cards that fit your spending habits. 

What you don't want right now or in the near future is a bunch of cards with toy limits that will take you 5 years to grow into a descent limit just IMO tho

Good luck and best wishes

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.