Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long will it take to improve my AAoA

tag
JMills
Frequent Contributor

How long will it take to improve my AAoA

There are so much rules on here and sometimes I think I'm over my head trying to do the right thing. I notice that some people say do this and then some people say dont do that, so sometimes I'm like what to do. I read on here that having low CLs hurts your AAoA, what does that mean? Also what is considered a high CLs, what I think is high maybe not be high for you. I am not trying to keep up with the Joneses but I wanted to know all about the AAoA to just improve my score more. I did inquire two cards through shopping cart trick. I keep hearing people say it will (kill) your AAoA. I dont like the term kill maybe hurtSmiley Happy I did my calculations and I am at 4.5 years. I think sometimes I get nervous, Im trying my best to  got to the 700's. I guess with time and patience I will get there.

Starting Score: EX: 705 EQ: 711 TU: 750 01/06/2014
Current Score: EX: 673 EQ: 673 TU: 643 05/06/2020

Last App: 05/06/202020 / In the Garden Until: 12/31/2024

Desired Scores EQ 800 EX 800 TU 800

PSCEU $20,000 Navy Signature $6,600 Navy Rewards $2,500
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: How long will it take to improve my AAoA

FICO rounds AAoA down to the nearest year, so your 4.5 counts as 4 years.  In 6 months you will have reached 5 years AAoA, as long as you don't open any new accounts.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 4
missjae
Established Contributor

@JMills wrote:

There are so much rules on here and sometimes I think I'm over my head trying to do the right thing. I notice that some people say do this and then some people say dont do that, so sometimes I'm like what to do. I read on here that having low CLs hurts your AAoA, what does that mean? Also what is considered a high CLs, what I think is high maybe not be high for you. I am not trying to keep up with the Joneses but I wanted to know all about the AAoA to just improve my score more. I did inquire two cards through shopping cart trick. I keep hearing people say it will (kill) your AAoA. I dont like the term kill maybe hurtSmiley Happy I did my calculations and I am at 4.5 years. I think sometimes I get nervous, Im trying my best to  got to the 700's. I guess with time and patience I will get there.

AAoA has to do with the length of time your accounts have been opened.  Each time you open a new account, it lowers the average.  Only time can improve this.  If you have a low AAoA, the best thing to do is garden, or avoid opening new accounts.

You may read a lot about Amex.  Amex is valuable in terms of AAoA because once you get a card with them, it sets your "member since" date.  Later on down the road, when you open new Amex accts (only the ones back by Amex/Centurion Bank), they will "backdate" the account to your first member since date.  For example, I opened my 1st Amex in 2009.  I opened two Amex accts at the end of August and they sent the cards to me with member since dates in 2009.

You mentioned trying to keep up with the Joneses, but I believe that you have to do what's good for your credit.  Don't pay attention to those that have $25,000 limits (as an example).  As long as your credit is where you want it to be, you are fine. Higher limits help with utilization, another factor that affects your score.   I don't think having a super high limit alone is what's going to get you into the 700's.  Having established tradelines, paying in a timely manner, not carrying a bunch of debt and avoiding tons of inquiries will help get you to where you want to be.

Message 3 of 4
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@missjae wrote:

@JMills wrote:

AAoA has to do with the length of time your accounts have been opened.  Each time you open a new account, it lowers the average.  Only time can improve this.  If you have a low AAoA, the best thing to do is garden, or avoid opening new accounts.

You may read a lot about Amex.  Amex is valuable in terms of AAoA because once you get a card with them, it sets your "member since" date.  Later on down the road, when you open new Amex accts (only the ones back by Amex/Centurion Bank), they will "backdate" the account to your first member since date.  For example, I opened my 1st Amex in 2009.  I opened two Amex accts at the end of August and they sent the cards to me with member since dates in 2009.

You mentioned trying to keep up with the Joneses, but I believe that you have to do what's good for your credit.  Don't pay attention to those that have $25,000 limits (as an example).  As long as your credit is where you want it to be, you are fine. Higher limits help with utilization, another factor that affects your score.   I don't think having a super high limit alone is what's going to get you into the 700's.  Having established tradelines, paying in a timely manner, not carrying a bunch of debt and avoiding tons of inquiries will help get you to where you want to be.

+1, Great info and advice...not just for newbies but for all of us.  A reminder that, sometimes it's best to just leave well enough alone, enjoy what you've earned, and watch it grow. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.