cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How low should I get my utilization % before applying for new CC.

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: How low should I get my utilization % before applying for new CC.

+2
Apparently, Walmart would have been maxed out as well. CLI's are helpful for util as long as you don't continue spending without paying down your debt.
Hopefully, you'll be able to significantly put a dent on your current obligations.
Message 11 of 14
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Util under 8 percent...like everyone else has mentioned you are very close to ur tl...id wait for ur util to drop tho gl!

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 12 of 14
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Ouch.  I agree with the other posters about you needing to get on top of your finances as you are obviously spending WAY beyond your means.  But I am not a believer in paying more interest than what you absolutely need to.  If you really are on top of your spending, then I can offer some advice.  BUT, this could potentially get you in much more trouble as you are basically putting yourself in position to get into a lot more debt.  But if you are done with your overspending, then I would recommend the following:

1) You need to get to as ideal a credit score as possible to see where you are at.  Towards that end, you need to get every card over 80% to under 80% (that would be the wells and old navy and chase).  Your other cards should report as 0 balance.  The walmart you need to keep below 20% if not 10%.  The question is how long it will take you to do so?

2) Once you are at a realistic "ideal" util, then we need to get a real FICO to see where you are at.

3) Assuming we can get you to low/mid 600 to high 600's, we can get some more cards until your utilization is pushed down to where you can get some 0% and low interest cards.  Move balances to those cards in right order (there are some tricks that can be played here to speed up process).  Obviously there is where you can get in trouble as you suddenly have all this extra spending room and there are always emergencies and reason to use the card.

I didn't really go into the details on purpose, but I have helped a few people with this process.  But really, don't do it unless you really have control of your spending because as I said earlier, there always seems to be emergencies for those who don't have control of their spending.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 13 of 14
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

Ask your parents to lend you money. You remind me of my cousin who's 4 years older than me. He managed to accumulate 5 digits worth of credit card debt 2-3 years ago. His dad (my uncle) chipped in several thousand dollars. It wasn't enough, but it was a start. He's still paying it off right now. DON'T make the same mistake as him.

I second getting a personal loan only if the interest is lower than your cards and the parents method isn't available.

Also if you're still in school, take out a student loan and pay off the debt. Its much better than a personal loan, but student loans cannot be charged off. Correct me if I'm wrong. If you get the student loan, pay it back once you have the means. Don't delay!

Pay off the target card. Leave the 500 on the walmart and focus on the rest of the cards.

If you mess up, you're not getting a prime card until about 7-10 years later. Good luck.
Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.