cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many Banks/CU's do you have "relationships" with?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How many Banks/CU's do you have "relationships" with?

@Longroad wrote:

@Saleen099 wrote:

@ddemari wrote:

Chase soft pulled TransUnion for Checking/ Savings. Credit Unions, yes hard pull expected from the most of them. 

+1

Opened PenFed hoping for a cc - denied too many new accounts

Fidelity investment account hoping for 2% Amex - now they have changed their progam while I was waiting to ap Smiley Mad

Local CU checking account for the auto rates

My local CU gave me a HP to open my checking account, another HP when I applied for my loan a couple of months later, and then another HP last summer when they implemented mobile deposits into the checking account via the phone ap. You actually had to "apply" to be eligible to deposit checks into your own checking account. I am afraid to go into a branch for fear of getting a HP

Wow... seriously?!?! They better be hookin you up with a PHAT limit on something ASAP

Which CUs provide CC's without income verification?  I know NASA asks, even though they approved, then AA'd me for too many new accounts.

Message 81 of 89
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

Better the question should be......"How many banks/CU's do you have "relationships" with, in hopes to get credit products!

None.  I don't rely on the "relationship" meme.  If one's credit and income qualify then they qualify with or without the relationship.  "Relationship" can help to a small degree in some cases but it will not overrule credit profile and income.

However, I do use a number of different creditors because I find their products suit me.

@pizza1 wrote:

Penfed...(just the share acct for now)

Let's take PenFed, for example.  I joined in 2009 so I could apply for a card that my credit did not qualify for.  I didn't qualify until 2013.  That qualification had nothing to do with "relationship".  It had everything to do with my research and efforts in cleaning up my credit.

Message 82 of 89
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

Better the question should be......"How many banks/CU's do you have "relationships" with, in hopes to get credit products!

None.  I don't rely on the "relationship" meme.  If one's credit and income qualify then they qualify with or without the relationship.  "Relationship" can help to a small degree in some cases but it will not overrule credit profile and income.

However, I do use a number of different creditors because I find their products suit me.

@pizza1 wrote:

Let's take PenFed, for example.  I joined in 2009 so I could apply for a card that my credit did not qualify for.  I didn't qualify until 2013.  That qualification had nothing to do with "relationship".  It had everything to do with my research and efforts in cleaning up my credit.

I believe what some people are considering is that:

Some lenders only issue loans to their own customers. (TD Bank and Wells Fargo credit cards, for example)

Some lenders only pre-screen for their own customers. By having the existing PenFed "relationship" it provides PenFed with a reason to review your credit file periodically. The advantage of this review to the borrower is that you have a better idea when you will likely qualify for their products.

Yes, ultimately the credit report is the deciding factor. I noticed in PNC's paperwork, however, that by having a relationship with the bank, you give them the right to collect any amounts owed on your active and closed checking accounts. I have a sneaking suspicion that PNC gets a certain comfort level from knowing that they have the capability to draw the payments, versus having to track down someone with no other dealings.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 83 of 89
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

"Relationships" in hopes to get credit products:

1. NASA - savings (denied sp credit card when applied for membership)

2. DCU - checkings, savings (future auto/CC, like the free fico Smiley Very Happy)

3. Western Federal CU - checking, savings (future PLOC 7%)

4. Coastal Federal CU - savings (future Big Ticket Card 6 months 0% BT per transaction >$600)

5. Charles Schwab - checking for free foreign ATM fee waive (possible future CC?)

Have "relationships" with already credit-wise:

1. Bank of America (oldest relationship since 2010/first CC) - savings, 2 CCs

2. Penfed - checking, savings, CC, PLOC, overdraft, CDs

3. Capital One 360 - checking, saving, investment, CC

4. Alliant Credit Union - checking, savings, secured loan

5. SDFCU - savings, secured CC

6. Bourns Employee Federal CU (local CU) - savings, CC w/ fixed rate 7.49%

7. Amex - savings, 2 CCs

8. US Bank - savings, 2 CCs

Wow. That's a ton.

I got Penfed 18 months ago so I could evenually get a car loan, which I did back in July.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 84 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover, Chase, Barclays, American Express, Synchrony, Capital One, PNC, Citi, Huntington, PenFed.

In the past: First Bank of Omaha, US Bank.

Message 85 of 89
smitty1
New Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

Better the question should be......"How many banks/CU's do you have "relationships" with, in hopes to get credit products!  Thats the real quesion, LOL....

Me...Navy, Penfed, and my local bank. So 3 in all.  

I know there are alot of peeps here who have tried to get into CU's for hope of credit products like CC's, car loan, etc....we are all guilty, LOLSmiley Wink

edited....Local bank (checking and savings)

Navy (CC, LOC, car loan, checking and savings)

For me:

Sound CU- checking and savings accounts

Langley FCU- checking and savings accounts

SMCU- checking and savings accounts, auto loan

Sunlight FCU- checking and savings accounts, CC

Discover- CC

Message 86 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase, Capital One, Bank Of America, Citi, multiple credit products from U.S Bank, and credit with my employer, San Diego County Credit Union.

Message 87 of 89
degs138
Established Contributor

Wells Fargo, Associated Bank, Chase, Capital One, Barclays and AMEX are the banks I have accounts with.  I also have a car loan with Ideal Credit union.  I started an account with Iowa State Bank which was a Kazza with good interset rate.  Didn't like the opening process so I never funded the account and it was closed.

I'm really only intersted in getting a relationship with Discover and possibly Citi Bank.  I'm going to garden for a while though.  Maybe I'll look at apping in 2017 unless I find a new house to buy, then I may app for Citi and Discover as soon as my Mortgage is signed.

FICO TU 757 Eq 741 116,900 Total revolving Credit.
Favorite cards: AMEX BCP, US Bank Cash+, Chase Sapphire Prefered
Message 88 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

deleted

Message 89 of 89
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.