cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many CC app requests do you get and from where?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: How many CC app requests do you get and from where?

@BluePoodle wrote:

But if OP can get the Blue, he/she can probably get a more useful card, such as the Everday.  Better than the Blue in every way.

It was the "Blue Cash Everyday Card" that I received the letter for. 0%  APR for 15 months, 12.99 afterwords, No AF. It says "Flexibilty to cary a balance" which I have no idea what that means as a feature??? And $150 in statement credit after $500 in purchases for the first 3 months.

OK, that is a different card from the Amex Blue.

Flexibility to carry a balance just means it isn't a charge card, you don't have to pay the full amount every month.  For most credit card companies, that would be what you expect, but with Amex's background in charge cards (which DO need to paid fully each month unless you have "pay over time" feature granted) they feel the need to say that.

As a personal crusade, I don't recommend the BCE to anyone though!   If you want a card to get cash back on light spending on gas and groceries, get the Sallie Mae, if you spend around 5-6000 on groceries a year, get the Blue Cash Preferred (and Sallie Mae for the gas and Amazon).  If you spend a lot more, get the Blue Cash.  If you just want an Amex to get a Member Since Date, get the new Everyday card.     

Message 11 of 23
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

As a personal crusade, I don't recommend the BCE to anyone though!   If you want a card to get cash back on light spending on gas and groceries, get the Sallie Mae, if you spend around 5-6000 on groceries a year, get the Blue Cash Preferred (and Sallie Mae for the gas and Amazon).  If you spend a lot more, get the Blue Cash.  If you just want an Amex to get a Member Since Date, get the new Everyday card.     

+1

Right, there's absolutely NO reason to opt for the BCE, other than having an Amex TL.  For lesser grocery spending, the Sallie Mae is better; and, for higher spending, the BCP is better.  

And, now with the ED, there isn't even a reason to use up a valuable revolver slot on the BCE for the Amex TL.

Message 12 of 23
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

+1

Right, there's absolutely NO reason to opt for the BCE, other than having an Amex TL.  For lesser grocery spending, the Sallie Mae is better; and, for higher spending, the BCP is better.  

And, now with the ED, there isn't even a reason to use up a valuable revolver slot on the BCE for the Amex TL.

So now based on these two responses, I am totally confused. Not sure what what I should be wanting in a CC. Not sure what the Amex TL is and I don't know much about SM.  I am going to have to do more reading it seems.... But Thanks for your suggestions.

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 13 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

OK, I will try to expand a little!   But the basic point is that not every card from an issuer is worthwhile (and just because you get a preapproval doesn't mean you should take it, especially if there are good alternatives.)

The Blue Cash Everyday:   3% off groceries up to $6K per year, 2% off gas and select department stores (no cap) 1% off everything else.  No AF.

Sallie Mae: 5% off gas and groceries, up to $250 per month each (so $3K a year on groceries), plus 5% off "bookstores" including all Amazon purchases, up to $750 a month, no AF.

Blue Cash Preferred: 6% off groceries up to $6K a year, 3% off gas and select department stores, 1% off everything else.

TheManWhoCan has posted charts detailing rewards vs spending on gas and groceries, and the BCE NEVER is the best choice.  So even though the grocery cap is higher than Sallie Mae, it is outweighed by the lower earnings on the first $250 per month (5% rather than 3%).    As you get closer to $6K a year, the BCP becomes better, even with the AF (although still get the SM in addition, for gas and Amazon).   For large gas and groceries purchases, use the Blue Cash, (if only gas is big, use a 5% gas card from Penfed or Fort Knox)

Sallie Mae is a really good card, better for all than BCE, and better for most than Chase Amazon (which only gets 3% on Amazon purchases).

The other two cards mentioned:

Blue Cash.  THis is an older card that is still available for heavy spenders.   After $6,500 per year, it gives 5% uncapped on groceries, gas and drug stores.

Amex Everyday.   A new card that gives 2MR points on supermarkets up to $6K a year, 1MR on everything else, but if you make 20 or more purchases a month, you get a  20% bonues, so 2.4MR on supermarkets and 1.2% on everything else.

Edit:  I missed Amex TL.  This is just "Trade Line", i.e. an Amex card.   Amex limits the number of credit cards you can have (four in most cases) so as time goes on, you don't want to "waste" them with underperforming cards.

Message 14 of 23
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

OK, I will try to expand a little!   But the basic point is that not every card from an issuer is worthwhile (and just because you get a preapproval doesn't mean you should take it, especially if there are good alternatives.)

The Blue Cash Everyday:   3% off groceries up to $6K per year, 2% off gas and select department stores (no cap) 1% off everything else.  No AF.

Sallie Mae: 5% off gas and groceries, up to $250 per month each (so $3K a year on groceries), plus 5% off "bookstores" including all Amazon purchases, up to $750 a month, no AF.

Blue Cash Preferred: 6% off groceries up to $6K a year, 3% off gas and select department stores, 1% off everything else.

TheManWhoCan has posted charts detailing rewards vs spending on gas and groceries, and the BCE NEVER is the best choice.  So even though the grocery cap is higher than Sallie Mae, it is outweighed by the lower earnings on the first $250 per month (5% rather than 3%).    As you get closer to $6K a year, the BCP becomes better, even with the AF (although still get the SM in addition, for gas and Amazon).   For large gas and groceries purchases, use the Blue Cash, (if only gas is big, use a 5% gas card from Penfed or Fort Knox)

Sallie Mae is a really good card, better for all than BCE, and better for most than Chase Amazon (which only gets 3% on Amazon purchases).

Blue Cash.  THis is an older card that is still available for heavy spenders.   After $6,500 per year, it gives 5% uncapped on groceries, gas and drug stores.

Amex Everyday.   A new card that gives 2MR points on supermarkets up to $6K a year, 1MR on everything else, but if you make 20 or more purchases a month, you get a  20% bonues, so 2.4MR on supermarkets and 1.2% on everything else.

Edit:  I missed Amex TL.  This is just "Trade Line", i.e. an Amex card.   Amex limits the number of credit cards you can have (four in most cases) so as time goes on, you don't want to "waste" them with underperforming cards.

Thank you for the explaination. That helps a lot!

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 15 of 23
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

So I have been reading up on these cards you mentioned Longtimelurker. I am really wanting an AmEx card but honestly, I dont' shop for my groceries at stand alone grocery stores. I hate grocery shopping so I usually hit Walmart and Target stores where I can get everything else I need too.  So it is looking like Sallie Mae may be my best bet. I realize there is the $250 cap for gas and groceries but I do have a daughter in college so having the Bookstore at $750 might also make it valuable for me since she uses Amazon for most of her books.  Then I guess once I hit my $250 cap I can use my QS at 1.5% or Discover for revolving catagories.  

Thank you for your suggestions, and if anyone else has a suggestion for me to look at, please feel free to share.

Thanks again this has been most helpful!

Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 16 of 23
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't get any offers outside of CreditOne and other deep subprime lenders like Springleaf until I had established history for 2 years, and then only from lenders which I had a relationship with.

The ones I do get are mostly are meh, Chase Slate, le sigh.  No balances, no use.

That said, I have a suspicion that the higher quality lenders do some simple analysis on a credit report: Discover once sent me an offer many moons ago when I only had a BOFA tradeline that I was using for car rentals (long before I consider myself to have "established" my credit report) but this go around with both Chase and Amex tradelines on it, I haven't heard a peep.  Odds are that looking at my report I'm just not as likely to accept an offer as someone with varied tradelines certainly isn't the old model consumer who simply wrapped their arms around their local bank for virtually everything.

        
Message 17 of 23
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I never get any offers from decent cards/lenders. The only thing I get is the tons of pop up from shopping cart tricks but I am not interested in any of the store cards. Cards I am interested in I go with cold apps and it has worked so far Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 23
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@BluePoodle wrote:

Not sure what what I should be wanting in a CC.

Start with your major spend categories and see if any rewards match your spend.  Are there any particular benefits that would be of use to you?

@longtimelurker wrote:

and just because you get a preapproval doesn't mean you should take it, especially if there are good alternatives

In other words, preapprovals and offers are just marketing.  While getting offers (especially those with lower APR's. etc) can be a good sign they really don't mean anything with regard to whether one will be approved or not.  Don't just respond to marketing.  Find cards that sre suited to you.

@longtimelurker wrote:

But if OP can get the Blue, he/she can probably get a more useful card, such as the Everday.  Better than the Blue in every way.

Better is always highly subjective.  Everyday, for example, is pointless for me as I don't have any use for MR.  As always, YMMV.

Message 19 of 23
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

Seems like I get offers constantly. From almost every place out there BOA, Commerce, Cap 1, Amex, Credit One, First Premier, US Bank...Chase & Citi to a lesser extent. I probably get the most from Amex but they SP my report like crazy so maybe that's why.
EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.