Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many CC's should one have....

tag
missjae
Established Contributor

Re: How many CC's should one have....

@jarroldharrell1 wrote:

So far I have 6 cards 3 of my own (personal card, business card and store card), and 3 as AU on my wife's. With a mortgage and student loan, I have 8 TL's opened on my CR.

How many cards do you guys suggest one should have for max FICO game?

You should have a number that is manageable for you.  There is no right or wrong answer since everyone is different.  Think about what you are going to use before you get them. No point in obtaining cards just because...

Message 11 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@missjae wrote:

@jarroldharrell1 wrote:

So far I have 6 cards 3 of my own (personal card, business card and store card), and 3 as AU on my wife's. With a mortgage and student loan, I have 8 TL's opened on my CR.

You should have a number that is manageable for you.  There is no right or wrong answer since everyone is different.  Think about what you are going to use before you get them. No point in obtaining cards just because...

Also, what is the goal of the max FICO game?  You should define what that means to you.   For many here it means maximizing score, but you also need to have a reason for doing that!   IMO, getting CLIs and high CLs isn't a worthwhile result in itself,  you want a score good enough to get the cards that you want.

And this can mean cards that give good perks, or useful rewards for your day to day spending, or cards you get merely for the signup bonus whether you use them or not.

The score is a tool to enable you to get things, not something of value per se.

Message 12 of 16
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

+1 to the above comments about 3 usually being optimal and to the point about how many you can manage.

I think they better question is: why?  Why do you care about your score?  You already have a mortgage.  

Unless you are trying to get a better score for refi or for auto or consolidating your student loans....I wouldn't be worried about your score if I were you.  If you aren't in the market for a refi or what not, then your score at this point is more for bragging rights.

Most people concerned about their score are trying to get a mortgage in the near future or some other large purchase.

Message 13 of 16
lilkimyo1

Message 14 of 16
Kratos-TM
Frequent Contributor

Well I'm just playing the max my score game, because I'm trying to buy an expensive car soon.

Myfico scores.....
EX... 805 (11-10-13)
EQ... 810 (12-02-13)
TU... 810 (12-02-13)
Message 15 of 16
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@jarroldharrell1 wrote:

One more.  Smiley Tongue

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.