Moderator Emeritus
beamMEup

Re: How many CC's should report a balance?

Thanks Hauling.  We get dinged by TU harder than EQ also.

I always love to hear exactly what patterns people are seeing - so your response is a great help to me.  Is this a fairly decent general guideline?  Even if I keep my overall utilization down, I need to make sure I'm watching how many cards report a balance.  So, I'm shooting for overall low utilization plus a balance on only one card, which seems to keep even TU happy???

Once again - you're shortening my (steep) learning curve!  I think I once owed you ice cream for breakfast or something?  Well, this morning I'm eating squash (yummy!) smileywink: but I've just learned how to better manage the bills I'm paying.  Thanks!

(And I'm looking forward to a time when I can pop my number of cards - and available credit - up - argh!  We've gotten DH a little further along on that).

Many thanks y'all.

Just puttin' syrup on something, don't make it pancakes.
Valued Contributor
GregB

I had been tracking this on EQ. It is hard for me to get a low number of accounts to report since I have some business accounts that show on personal reports. I have now lost the third business CC that didn't show with Advanta's demise.

I get dinged right at 40%. One report is flagged at exactly 40% with 10 out of 25 accounts showing a balance. I can find two reports where that is the only change and it results in score change from 749 to 734 or 15 points. Interesting since that is more change than I get changing utilization by 5-10%.

I have to believe that "rule" doesn't work with a small number of accounts.

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

[ Edited ]
*sudden image of squash ice cream* :smileyvery-happy:

I didn't emphasize the role of open installment accounts enough, btw. If someone only has a car loan, I think that they can get away with fewer cards, in terms of the # of accounts with balances issue. Since there's only one account (the loan) that always has a balance, there's only that one to counter-balance with a $0 CC. In contrast, if someone has unconsolidated student loans, with the typical 8 separate loan TL's for 8 semesters of UG college, they're pretty much doomed in this little game.

But again, it's important to keep the big picture in mind. # of accounts with balances isn't typically that big a factor (it's worth about 4 points for me), and it's more important in the long run to only get credit products that truly make sense for you, rather than to please the FICO scoring gods. *snaps rubber band around wrist to remind self of this*

eta: GregB's post appeared after I started typing (I got distracted watching the D-Day ceremony from Normandy), and I see where # of accounts can be as much as 25 points for him. Just goes to show how variable it is! And it's entirely possible that if I suddenly let 9 or 11 CC's report even token balances, my scores would get whomped a lot worse.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 06-06-2009 07:25 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}