cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many CC trade lines do you have? What is the perfect number?

tag
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

How many CC trade lines do you have? What is the perfect number?

I have 5 right now 1 closed and 4 opened. From reading and learning here,  I figure I am going to shoot for 6. i don't really like credit cards but 6 seems to be a good number where if  I do apply for another one after having 6 well aged, my AAoA won't drop too much. I think some mortgages say like 2 or 4 is the minimum to be approved. Is it true that they require a minimum?

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: How many CC trade lines do you have? What is the perfect number?

The perfect number depends on the individual. Why they need the cc's and whether their income/spending warrants multiple cc's. as far as mortgages,Myers they like to see 2-3 trade lines but they can also use alternative /non- traditional credit sources. To be safe though, getting a few cc's will make processing and UW a mtg app easier.

To answer your other question, I have 16 open TLs, 2 closed TLs. Whereas my DH has 7 TLs and he's fine with that number.
Message 2 of 49
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Yeah unfortunately my wife's credit is a disaster. We both came from different worlds and she came from poverty and has been very sick and has been very irresponsble in the past to the extent that she has done things that were blatently illegal and thus her credit has a long way to go... Hers can get better someday. She is trying.

Message 3 of 49
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Oh heck, I lose count...the number I remember is that between DW and I, we have 43 active credit card accounts.

No, that isn't a typo.  Smiley Tongue

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 4 of 49
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Hopefully, you can help her see the errors in her ways and get it and her back on the straight and narrow. It's an arduous task but one worth trying to accomplish.

I'm sure you'll be able to give her excellent advice!
Message 5 of 49
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

Oh heck, I lose count...the number I remember is that between DW and I, we have 43 active credit card accounts.

No, that isn't a typo.  Smiley Tongue

Hmm. Yeah I guess you have enough to qualify. Credit Karma models put the optimal number at 21+ so you should each be good there..

Message 6 of 49
ElCamino
Contributor

I've got all of the CCs listed in my sig, plus a single closed CC that I closed before I ever knew anything about credit.

Amex BCE: $16.5k, Discover It: $5k, Chase Freedom Visa: $10k, Fidelity Amex: $7.5k, PenFed Cash Rewards Visa: $3.5k, CapOne Union Plus MC: $4.5k, Barclays Upromise MC: $5k, BoA Cash Rewards 123 MC: $1.5k
Message 7 of 49
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Look at siggy
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 8 of 49
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

@ElCamino wrote:

I've got all of the CCs listed in my sig, plus a single closed CC that I closed before I ever knew anything about credit.

Nice list.. nice limits....

Message 9 of 49
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

@jsickz32 wrote:
Look at siggy

You too.....

Message 10 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.