Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many CC will suffice

tag
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

How many CC will suffice

I am trying to rebuild my FICO score.  I know time will be my better friend, but this is going to be a hobby in the meantime.  I am not really in need of any big purchases soon as I already have a home, AND I will not finance any vehicles (I think).  Our budget is fine otherwise since rebounding from disaster several years ago. 

I made the apparent mistake years ago of closing all CCs out of frustration.  So my EQ shows "There is no recent activity on your revolving accounts" as one of my score downfalls.  I also want to drown out some of the baddies that wont fall off for a while with current lines.  So, I applied for a Cap1 a week or so ago and got an instant 1k cl.  This new card is my only CC.   I have already paid most of the 39 annual fee and left a 4 dollar balance.  I plan on making very small transactions and leaving a very small balance every month as I am normally a cash only person.  I have only one inquiry on my reports, and a 12 yr AAoA showing, however, TU shows only 10 yrs.    I am feeling like maybe I should try another app or two, but I don't want to push it.  Any advice on how many I should get without inquiries or AAoA hurting the score too much?  I was even thinking of the Walmart card for the monthly fakeo score.  I don't Walmart, but I do have a Sam's Club membership and I think the Walmart card works there.  Thanks for any advice  

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
SportBike4Life
Regular Contributor

Re: How many CC will suffice

Walmarts cards give you the actual TransUnion FICO score, not a FAKEO score.

Jun 2012 FICO® ~ 734 EQ
Sep 2012 FICO® ~ 684 EQ; 734 TU
Oct 2012 FICO® ~ TBA

Goal for 2014 ~760+

Trying to stay in the garden...but also trying to get as many apps as possible for now Smiley Wink
Message 2 of 13
SportBike4Life
Regular Contributor

Personally, I would recommend applying for as many reward cards as you can (that you need, and will use) if you aren't applying for any loans or mortgages any time soon. This is because you can get all of the credit cards that you want now and within 1 year all of these inquires will fall off together, hence boosting your credit score and helping you save money in the long run.

Jun 2012 FICO® ~ 734 EQ
Sep 2012 FICO® ~ 684 EQ; 734 TU
Oct 2012 FICO® ~ TBA

Goal for 2014 ~760+

Trying to stay in the garden...but also trying to get as many apps as possible for now Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 13
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Well what exactly is your goal?  Improve your FICO score?

Getting what you don't want and don't have a need for -- a CC -- isn't going to help you.

You are normally a Cash Only person.  Then stay true to who you are.  There was a reason you cancelled all those cards.

You have a mortgage, no big purchases, and no need to (you think) to get a new car loan.  So then, why the fixation on your FICO score?

You got a Cap 1 CC.  Leave it at that.

Message 4 of 13
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1

Message 5 of 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I agree, I would stick with cash if thats what got you where your at now. FICO likes 2-3 cards reporting so if your still interested in giving credit another shot id go for an everyday rewards card that will fit your spending habits. Wait at least 6 months before applying.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 13
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

I would be cautious about going out on an app spree with your current baddies showing.  I agree with LS for the most part and think you should give your Cap 1 time to age and show your current level of responsibility to creditors.  Just having that one card report should help your FICO. 

Your primary goal for an ideal FICO should be to prepare for those baddies to fall off.  Perhaps add another card or two before the baddies fall off (slowly, and without excessive inquiries), and then do not add any inquiries for a year before the baddies fall off (if you can avoid it).  Then, when that last baddie falls off, go for the gold!  I bet your score will be through the roof at that time.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 7 of 13
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

I think 2 cards is sufficient     Walmart card seems like a good idea.  

In the long run, using them regularly is better for your credit, but if you can control your budget better with cash, stick with cash for now.

Message 8 of 13
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

Thanks for replies.  I went with the two cards (Cap1 and Walmart).  Two inquiries now with the two new cards and I will just utilize them monthly, without the interest rates being a factor. 

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 9 of 13
JonStur
Established Contributor

I also feel you should apply for a card at your bank, this way you can pay with your credit card and show some utilization, and pay whatever you charge weekly or bi- weekly from your account. I'm at US Bank and I can pay from either of my checking or savings accts. to my credit card via balance transfer thru their website. The transaction is immediate so it theoretically is like paying with cash...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.